Seismic practical problems by PPI

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LXZ

Reaction score
The authors of Seismic practical problems by "the other board" claim that one has to achieve more than 67 out of 100 in the practical exam to pass the CA seimic test. The practical problems are really tough. I am wondering anybody who has got a score below 60 but more than 55 (kind of CA exam cut-score) still passed the actual seismic exam.

The authors of Seismic practical problems by "the other board" claim that one has to achieve more than 67 out of 100 in the practical exam to pass the CA seimic test. The practical problems are really tough. I am wondering anybody who has got a score below 60 but more than 55 (kind of CA exam cut-score) still passed the actual seismic exam.
I'm not sure, but I won't be taking the exam until the update it to the IBC 2006 code. I don't want to have to learn a new building code just to get another license... call me lazy ;o).

McE

I did pass though I could not achieve minimum score as specified in the book. Don't be discouraged if you can not achieve the minimum required score of 67. To be honest, a score of 60 for the two practical exams is enough. Good luck, all October takers.

Very encouraging! Thanks, LXZ.

By the way, can we take practice exam and sample problems to exam site for Seismic and Surveying???

I did pass though I could not achieve minimum score as specified in the book. Don't be discouraged if you can not achieve the minimum required score of 67. To be honest, a score of 60 for the two practical exams is enough. Good luck, all October takers.

I took PE national exam in NV last year. Sample exams and solution books are absolutely not allowed.

You can take sample exams and solutions for the PE exam, too. At least here in CA.

I took PE national exam in NV last year. Sample exams and solution books are absolutely not allowed.
So how does that work? It's open book except for those books? Can you not just copy them into a binder and have it not be the "book"? And what if you do the problems by hand? Is that different? And if it's a national exam, why the difference? Why not just go take it in another state and get it all open book? (Yeah yeah I'm lazy and I want my answers...)

Look at here..... it is the rule:

http://www.boe.state.nv.us/BOE%20Forms/Exa...nstructions.doc

REFERENCE MATERIALS FOR PE, STR II, & PLS EXAMINATIONS (Nevada PLS exam is closed-book)

These are open-book examinations. Textbooks, handbooks, reference books, review manuals, codes, tables, standards, and ordinances may be used. Books such as “SAMPLE EXAMS” “SOLUTIONS MANUALS”, “SOLVED EXAM PROBLEMS”, “EXAM SOLUTIONS”, or any similar titles are not permitted for use in the examination room. You are not permitted to copy and bind pages from the books described above as that would be the same as using the original book. Bound reference material and notes are permitted.

So how does that work? It's open book except for those books? Can you not just copy them into a binder and have it not be the "book"? And what if you do the problems by hand? Is that different? And if it's a national exam, why the difference? Why not just go take it in another state and get it all open book? (Yeah yeah I'm lazy and I want my answers...)

Back