Professional use of HCM

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EhmayWuntee P.E.

Asst. Director of Public Works
Reaction score
This was the best place I could think of for asking this question. If I overlooked another area, feel free to move this thread.

I know the PE exam does, and maybe will continue for awhile, utilize the 2010 version of the HCM with it's errata/updates.

In the professional world and actual design use (outside the PE exam), would the HCM 2010 still apply or would it be best/required to use the newest HCM 6th edition (2016)? I feel like a lot of studies and changes could have been made over the years and justify their need to publish a new edition, but then again sometimes people seem to just put out newer versions to generate fresh purchases. 

I mention all of that to basically ask the question:
Now that I passed the PE, would it be smart for me to sell the HCM2010 and eventually purchase the newest version or request any employer to do so if we would need to reference it, or do many of you currently still use and think you will continue to use the 2010 version in real life design work?

Since I paid out of pocket for this reference, it would be nice to recoup most of the funds and pass it along to a future test taker if I would be better off designing from the 6th edition, but if I should hang onto it for a bit, I can do that as well. My worry is if/when I eventually no longer need it for design work, the PE will also move on to the latest version and I won't have a market to sell to.

Are there any specific agencies/jurisdiction that specifically require you to use the HCM?  If so, you should check with their regulations to see if they call out a specific version that you should use.  You should also check the references used for the HCM2010 and make sure it does not refer to outdated codes (based on where you do your work).As a comparison, the International Building and Residential codes were last updated in 2015. Until March of 2016, NJ was still referencing the 2009 version of the IRC/IBC. Indiana still goes based on the 2003 version of the IRC code with some amendments last updated in 2012. So even though there is a new HCM manual, it may be a while before you are required to actually use the new one.  

[SIZE= 12px]This was the best place I could think of for asking this question. If I overlooked another area, feel free to move this thread.[/SIZE]

I know the PE exam does, and maybe will continue for awhile, utilize the 2010 version of the HCM with it's errata/updates.

In the professional world and actual design use (outside the PE exam), would the HCM 2010 still apply or would it be best/required to use the newest HCM 6th edition (2016)? I feel like a lot of studies and changes could have been made over the years and justify their need to publish a new edition, but then again sometimes people seem to just put out newer versions to generate fresh purchases. 

I mention all of that to basically ask the question:
Now that I passed the PE, would it be smart for me to sell the HCM2010 and eventually purchase the newest version or request any employer to do so if we would need to reference it, or do many of you currently still use and think you will continue to use the 2010 version in real life design work?

Since I paid out of pocket for this reference, it would be nice to recoup most of the funds and pass it along to a future test taker if I would be better off designing from the 6th edition, but if I should hang onto it for a bit, I can do that as well. My worry is if/when I eventually no longer need it for design work, the PE will also move on to the latest version and I won't have a market to sell to.
Moving since this does not directly relate to PE Exam prep.  ;)

To answer - I say sell it.  In practice, you should be using the latest edition and I think whatever reference/edition you would need to use at work, your employer should be providing. 

@youngmotivatedengineer Thanks for the opinion, you do bring up some good points that I will consider.

@ptatohed Thanks for moving it to the proper location, you basically summed up my thoughts on this and I will likely lean towards selling it to another test taker. Maybe its a selling feature that it comes from someone who already passed the PE! It may be a disservice to not pass it along to someone who also wants to see that green "PASS" on NCEES.

Back