Starting Over

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wario

Reaction score
Let me first start off by outlining my thanks for the forum, as I have read without joining the community. However after years of taking the PE exam, I am at a cross-roads with certainly my career and prospects of passing this examination.

I have taken review classes ((AM and Construction) Dr. Tom/ (Construction) EET), I have organized my materials (as expressed by these entities and others), and I given each exam a full effort. However, after taking the Civil-Construction for the 4th time, I can't seem to jump past 50 questions correct, and my mood and morale is at an all-time low. I don't know if I should surrender and fall on my sword or to continue. As I have spoke with my wife, at what point can a person keep running into a buzz saw with out changing the results. I have attempted to study both the morning and afternoon with vigor, however there are some things that don't seem to translate either from preparation to the exam or the exam to preparation. I wish I could go back in time and stay within one forte of engineering as a career path but for one reason or another I have moved around. And honestly, each time was for the right reason but looking back on it, it was a mistake. It is probably true, 'renaissance man, but master of none', but I have sincerely shifted gears for reasons that I won't disclose. However along the way, I have missed my mentors and that is the worst of all. 

As I am currently unemployed, it does not bode well for me- in general. Outlining to potential employers that you are at the cusp of a PE breakout is a good talking point, however they only care about the paper in hand vs the hand that holds the paper. 

Certainly, I am open to recommendations however I am not interested in your response if they are to tell me how much I am a failure (because at this point, I know what and where I am). I don't like to give up, but a steady fall into the abyss has been ongoing for me and I wish to find a rock to grab on the dive.

I say don't give up.  Change up your preparation practices a little.  Try EET which gets great reviews here.  Take this time now while you are unemployed to study/prepare hard.  I would not recommend changing depth modules, stick with Construction since you have already dedicated this much time to it and presumably have the necessary references.  Shake the blues, clear your head, convince yourself that you can do it (which you can), and hit it 150% harder than last time and you'll get it this time.  :D  

I say don't give up.  Change up your preparation practices a little.  Try EET which gets great reviews here.  Take this time now while you are unemployed to study/prepare hard.  I would not recommend changing depth modules, stick with Construction since you have already dedicated this much time to it and presumably have the necessary references.  Shake the blues, clear your head, convince yourself that you can do it (which you can), and hit it 150% harder than last time and you'll get it this time.  :D  
AHHHHH, wheres the Like button!?!?!?   :beerchug:

Back