13 Reasons Why

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Road Guy

Reaction score
Anyone else watching this?  I have to say its fairly decent and even though I think its a little over dramatic it defin gives you some insight into the teenage world.

If you have teenagers they are most likely going to watch it and I would recommend you watch it also.

My 16 year old daughter said it resonated with her. Not the part about being considered a slut but just the social media aspect of HS where you feel like **** when you see people you think are your friends hanging out and not inviting you and such (I tried to tell her that still happens in adult hood)

I watched it and yes - definitely over dramatic but that is just television. What concerned me is how they kind of 'justified' the girl's suicide.

Teen suicide is sometimes teenagers reaching out for attention from people who wronged them, which the girl obtains in the show. I just wouldn't want to see someone try to replicate what happened in the show.

What concerned me is how they kind of 'justified' the girl's suicide.
yes! those are the words I was looking for. I could not quite figure out a way to say that but that's what really disturbed me the most I think (of course I am just on episode 10)

I also don't think its that easy for kids to drink vodka at school and smoke weed in the parking lot, especially at the uppity San Francisco suburb area schools..

But I do like the "Fonz" Character with the 66 mustang and leather jacket!

yes! those are the words I was looking for. I could not quite figure out a way to say that but that's what really disturbed me the most I think (of course I am just on episode 10)

I also don't think its that easy for kids to drink vodka at school and smoke weed in the parking lot, especially at the uppity San Francisco suburb area schools..

But I do like the "Fonz" Character with the 66 mustang and leather jacket!
No it is not that easy, but they do it to go for the 'Wow' factor. Not to egg you on, but the last two episodes are pretty disturbing - that's what some parents are concerned about.

I haven't seen the show, but kids fairly regularly drank and smoked at my high school.  Water bottles in class, smoke out back at school.

While I haven't watched it myself, I have read several articles on it, and have talked to my rising HS senior son about it. What frightens me the most is how much this show is being embraced by young people, especially girls. We have access to our son's Instagram account, which we inspect every so often. And to read some of the things young people say about the show scares me.

If you think the parents are shitting themselves over the suicide aspect of the show, just wait until it goes Columbine in future seasons...

I don't know anything about the show you guys are talking about, but based on the posts here it seems like it's related to this real story, here in Boston.  I'm not sure how wide spread it is on the net.  Pretty messed up case.

If you've got time click the link to the text messages.  IMHO, the kid who committed suicide was pretty messed up and the girl is just a bitch.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2017/06/06/woman-charged-with-cajoling-friend-commit-suicide-faces-involuntary-manslaughter-trial/8ylBhZifsAYU2ix71ZFQTJ/story.html

From this article,

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2017/06/05/read-texts-center-massachusetts-teen-suicide-case/YIjOPc1K0ICLoyUx97uwLL/story.html?p1=Article_Recommended_ReadMore_Pos4

Carter’s attorney previously told the Globe that Carter’s text messages are protected by the First Amendment and that, under state law, it is not a crime to encourage another person to commit suicide.
I'm not sure I agree with that. Calling in false bomb threats or "yelling fire in a crowded theater" are not protected by the 1st Amendment. Encouraging someone to commit suicide shouldn't be protected either.

I don't know anything about the show you guys are talking about, but based on the posts here it seems like it's related to this real story, here in Boston.  I'm not sure how wide spread it is on the net.  Pretty messed up case.

If you've got time click the link to the text messages.  IMHO, the kid who committed suicide was pretty messed up and the girl is just a bitch.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2017/06/06/woman-charged-with-cajoling-friend-commit-suicide-faces-involuntary-manslaughter-trial/8ylBhZifsAYU2ix71ZFQTJ/story.html
Can't read them without subscribing, but the girl in the show essentially walks through everything that led up to her decision - witnessing and covering up sexual assault, ridicule when the popular kid sends out dirty photos of her, covering up a traffic incident that leads to a fatality, etc.  It's as much about losing faith in her peers and school administration as it is the bullying component.

FYI, here's a link to the texting article.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2015/09/02/teens-exchanged-dark-disturbing-texts-before-one-committed-suicide/e2yve2GkWSJn0b78JlCJMP/story.html

Maybe this sexting thing is a warning to the millennials.  I just watched a movie on Netflix called IT with Pierce Brosnan.  In it, an IT guy goes psycho and controls Brosnan's smart house.  He captures footage of Brosnan's teenage daughter taking a shower (with a happy ending) and then sends the video to all of the kids at her high school.

FYI, here's a link to the texting article.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2015/09/02/teens-exchanged-dark-disturbing-texts-before-one-committed-suicide/e2yve2GkWSJn0b78JlCJMP/story.html

Maybe this sexting thing is a warning to the millennials.  I just watched a movie on Netflix called IT with Pierce Brosnan.  In it, an IT guy goes psycho and controls Brosnan's smart house.  He captures footage of Brosnan's teenage daughter taking a shower (with a happy ending) and then sends the video to all of the kids at her high school.
Needs a paid subscription to read, they C&P them here (for free): http://www.wcvb.com/article/documents-show-text-messages-woman-sent-boyfriend-before-his-death/9981159

The internet of things can be some scary ****.  As it gains in popularity and wireless home security systems with video feeds become more and more common, I can see that becoming a very realistic scenario.

The show also made things a lot more graphic and modern than the book (which was published in 2007). It's sad that Netflix felt like they had to get that graphic. Case in point - the method of suicide in the show is not the same as the book. Guess they felt simply taking pills was not graphic enough; they decided to fully show the girl slicing her wrists.

were having a "digital"  issue in our neighborhood some kids were playing ding dong ditch at 1 AM at a former girlfriends house. the mom is a little psycho and called the police. she had one of those doorbell cameras, and the kids were actually arrested for being out past curfew. They were upcoming freshman and I think they were arrested / released to their parents situation, but just IMO Really stupid that kids cant just be kids, maybe they were harassing but on the surface it look very minor.

The mom also posted the kids pictures all over the nextdoor site and now we have a few hundred arm chair parents calling the other paretns terrible because their kids walked out of the house at 1 AM, I mean **** if they arrested kids for that back In my day I would be a convicted felon..

Last edited by a moderator:
Doorbell camera....busted!  LOL.  It's a prank but it still sux. 

I have no problem calling out the pranksters.  Arrest?, no.  The police taking the kids in and having the parents pick them up has been the MO for decades there shouldn't be any formal charges and when them parents retrieve them, that should be the end of it.  Who established the "curfew"?  that's kind of weak. 

This blaming the parents for every stupid thing the kids do is for the birds.

yeah I think its being blow way out of proportion... I think it took a couple of days to track down the kids and the mom (of the perpetrator) saw the post on next-door and made her son go apologize. and then the other mom went ballistic and called 911..

I show all these to my kids and tell them that you just cant do **** like that anymore, these days someone will press charges if you toilet paper their house probably!

but these type things is why I earlier said its much harder these days (in middle class and up neighborhood) for kids to drink on school campus and smoke week without getting caught, the show makes it look like you can pour vodka in your water bottle in class while the teacher is in there. **** these days they have so many cameras you cant probably scratch your own balls without getting in trouble..

I went to school in the sticks and you could step 20 feet off campus and be in thick woods and smoke all the cigs you wanted to.. But I don't recall anyone being actively drunk during school hours & I didn't hang out with the band nerds ;)

so the pranked mom called the cops AFTER the kid went an apologized?  What a count!

Kids can't have no fun anymore ;)

738d44a785513c3b4ad6699739612f4c.jpg

Back