Illinois PE Experience Requirements

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jiggyjetset

Reaction score
Firstly, I thank EB for all of the info throughout the PE exam process and into the results stage. I found out last night that I passed the PE exam in Illinois!

Now, the confusing part for me begins because I passed the exam under decoupling and I am not totally certain if portions of my work experience count towards the four years required to obtain a license. I live in a different state that seems to allow more freedom with regards to work supervised by a PE, however the Illinois application states:

"The supervisor must be licensed as a Professional Engineer or one who is legally practicing professional engineering, pursuant to Section 3 of the PE Act; who is in direct control and supervision of the applicant, in the jurisdiction where the engineering activities are performed." 

I have approximately a year of experience at one company where my direct supervisor was not a PE and was located in a different office. The only PEs we had at my company were Structural and for my first three months, any designs that needed further structural review were sent to PEs at another office in a different state. After three months, a PE came to work in our office and supervised our designs with respect to structural work (the only PE stamp our designs required). My question is this: does Illinois allow a "professional supervisor" to be someone other than my boss so that the structural PE (never my boss) could vouch for my experience? 

official "boss" not so much, but would definitely have to be someone who oversaw your work product.  BUt they are very strict in the experience requirements. 

Back