Asking for a raise after passing the PE Exam. - Page 3 - APR 2017 - Engineer Boards
Engineer Boards
Sign in to follow this  
rcgrey117

Asking for a raise after passing the PE Exam.

23 minutes ago, BamaStrucPE said:

Our company policy is a $4800 raise and a $2000 bonus after passing PE, then you're likely to get a raise/promotion at your next review (if you are inexperienced and at a lower level).  I'm a Structural Engineer in Houston and made 6 figures last year for the first time, with 5 years experience at the time.

Dang I need to move to Houston. Funny how I have two jobs I am currently working on in Houston, but I am from out of state. Might as well jump ship to the great state of TX to practice structural engineering

On 5/31/2017 at 1:52 PM, gpoli111 said:

I think it's widely known and accepted that most engineers regardless of field/industry do not get near 6 figures in their first 6 years of working. 

Most nuclear engineers would disagree with this statement. I believe petroleum engineers are in a similar pay situation.

But it makes sense for the rest of the engineering disciplines when averaged out across the country.

3 minutes ago, RBHeadge PE said:

Most nuclear engineers would disagree with this statement. I believe petroleum engineers are in a similar pay situation.

But it makes sense for the rest of the engineering disciplines when averaged out across the country.

I disagree. Most engineers aren't nuclear/petroleum. So even if most nuclear/petroleum engineers make over 100k within 6 years, they probably know their on the top end  (semantics, I know :) )

I'm in CA and starting pay with a master's in CeEn (Structural) was 65k. After 1 year I got bumped to 75k. 

@BamaStrucPE I'm curious what your pay was for each of the 5 years, if you mind sharing? I always thought CA would be highest paying for structural, but Houston sounds higher and has a lower COL!

All I can say is that the CA PE/SE is more valuable if you live outside CA.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, cal91 said:

I disagree. Most engineers aren't nuclear/petroleum. So even if most nuclear/petroleum engineers make over 100k within 6 years, they probably know their on the top end  (semantics, I know :) )

I thought about that too as I was typing out the response. I agree with the logical semantic structure of the sentence still support the larger thesis. But I was pointing discipline does matter.

We're acutely aware that we're on the left end of the bell curve. :B ...Of course the discipline might not be around in an appreciable form in 30 years too. :(

7 minutes ago, kevo_55 said:

All I can say is that the CA PE/SE is more valuable if you live outside CA.

really? I'd like to know more, could you elaborate? Or even PM me if you mind. Thanks!

50 minutes ago, cal91 said:

I'm in CA and starting pay with a master's in CeEn (Structural) was 65k. After 1 year I got bumped to 75k. 

@BamaStrucPE I'm curious what your pay was for each of the 5 years, if you mind sharing? I always thought CA would be highest paying for structural, but Houston sounds higher and has a lower COL!

I've only been in Houston for about 3 years, but first two years I was in the mid fifties. Third year I traveled a lot, so had quite a bit of OT, moved to Houston and got my PE, both of which increased my rate, but I think I made lower $70k, fourth year was full time Houston PE rate and made mid $80k, fifth year had a lot of OT again, so that pushed me to lower 6 figures, but I think base rate was upper eighties low nineties.

2 hours ago, cal91 said:

I'm neither Nuclear or Petroleum (I did work at a nuke plant as a mechanical systems engineer for almost 2 years though).

My salary history for the last 7 years has been $57,600, $56,000, $70,000, $86,400, $98,100, $117,000. This is base salary at 6 different companies, no bonus, no OT (never got OT since I have always been exempt).

On 6/1/2017 at 11:58 AM, Owism said:

State government gives 16% going from an EIT position to a PE position. Long live the unions

Seems low. Private sector was 20% for me. :thumbs:

I wonder how it compares when you also factor in benefits. I am pretty sure I don't make all that much on base pay, but hopefully my benefits make up for it a bit in that medical/dental/vision are covered, retirement pension match of 2:1 with me paying in 7% (so 21% of my pay each year), and a few other odds and ends that are likely more similar.

If someone making $10k+ more than me in a similar area has to pay out of pocket towards medical/dental/vision and doesn't get much retirement help, then it may balance out more. Otherwise I am likely just sticking around letting them pay me less than I deserve... We shall see what happens in under a year when I can actually register for my PE.

13 hours ago, EhmayWuntee said:

I wonder how it compares when you also factor in benefits. I am pretty sure I don't make all that much on base pay, but hopefully my benefits make up for it a bit in that medical/dental/vision are covered, retirement pension match of 2:1 with me paying in 7% (so 21% of my pay each year), and a few other odds and ends that are likely more similar.

If someone making $10k+ more than me in a similar area has to pay out of pocket towards medical/dental/vision and doesn't get much retirement help, then it may balance out more. Otherwise I am likely just sticking around letting them pay me less than I deserve... We shall see what happens in under a year when I can actually register for my PE.

The last two places I worked had medical/dental fully paid by the employer, excellent pension plans (which I'll never see since I left), and matching 401K up to 6%, Current employer, I pay about 5% of the premiums (come to about $150 per month for full family coverage), they give me 7% in a 401K and will match another 4%, (so I can total 15% in while my contribution is 4%).

• Like 1

Raise is automatic at my firm. They really value their engineers getting their PEs. They even reimburse 100% of all costs associated with preparing and taking the PE (contingent on passing, of course).

They follow the same protocol for the FE, too.

Ultimately, they never gave me one. Said it was not required for my job function (even though encouraged). Was verbally told and had in writing, but administration changed twice shortly after so promises of old regime did not mean anything. Left the job a few months later, found a much better one, so all in all I am satisfied!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, lanette259 said:

Ultimately, they never gave me one. Said it was not required for my job function (even though encouraged). Was verbally told and had in writing, but administration changed twice shortly after so promises of old regime did not mean anything. Left the job a few months later, found a much better one, so all in all I am satisfied!

Congratulations!

Previous companies that I've worked for offered an incentive bonus for obtaining your PE, PMP, and in one case, the CCM. 

Depending on the company and the type of work, the PMP was worth more than the PE. We did not specialize in design though. I'm guessing that if you are in a design firm and you obtain your PE, the company isn't likely to reward you for it because you don't applaud a fish for swimming.