MERM 12th vs. 13th for PE Exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GR8 PLUMENG

Reaction score
Should I invest in MERM 13th? I used the 12th Ed MERM on the exam and i wasn't successful. Based on what I've read so far, there seems to be very little difference between the two. Also, is anyone willing to sell their 13th Ed.

There is little point in upgrading.  12th ed. is a perfectly good reference text to prepare you.  In fact, since it has the practice problems right in the text, I'd say it's better for at least the reason you don't have to buy the separate text for them.  If you use the MERM in conjunction with your undergrad texts you will have every underlying theory and methodology you will need to prepare.

Note: I began my study with the 12th ed. using a borrowed text.  I quickly found that I wanted to make notes right in it, so I gave the borrowed text back to my friend and bought my own.  Since I was purchasing anew, I decided to get the latest, but believe me, there is very little difference between the texts and I would have been just as well served to have bought the 12 ed.  And there were more people in my exam that had the 12 ed. sitting on the table than the 13th.

Last edited by a moderator:
12th edition is a fine book. I didn’t waste any  money on the upgrade.

However, if you’re planning to take a prep class then their class notes will use references to sections in the latest edition (13th).

Back