For those passed the PE exam under Decoupling , Did you update your resume?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tam Construction

Reaction score
I Passed PE Civil Construction exam under TBPE decoupling which I hope it will help to find job. 

Now I'm thinking how to add this to strengthen my resume to find any engineering job.

Can I add the title PE (Decoupling) after my name in LinkedIn or resume or ...

Did you update your resume/card/signature ?

I have no knowledge of how to handle this, but figured I'd add an opinion.
If someone with more weight/justification chimes in, then trust their advice more.

I would say the title of PE near your name is pushing it a bit far even with a disclaimer.
For sure you would want somewhere on the resume to say "Successfully passed PE exam in April 2017" and depending on your resume layout it could go in a few places.
I can understand that you want this to be a good standout and set you apart from any other EIT that may apply as well and I think that is indeed a smart plan.

It may also make a difference in how much experience you have since graduation.
Did you take the PE right out of college to where you are still with limited to no experience, or are you in between jobs with say 3 years prior professional experience?
If close to the 4 year mark, then maybe you could add in "Able to obtain license within XX months."

You could put P(assed) E(xam) next to your name, because you are not a PE yet. It should be listed as a bullet point. No need to confuse HR scanning through resumes. You definitely don't want to start out on the wrong foot.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I updated my LinkedIn to show that I've passed the P.E. exam (I still have a couple of years experience before I can apply for licensure).  I'd say putting "P.E." after your name when you haven't been licensed yet would be unethical.

You should list that you passed the test and how long before you can become an actual PE.  The same theory applies to people who have their EIT. 

You should list that you passed the test and how long before you can become an actual PE.  The same theory applies to people who have their EIT. 
No, that seems odd.  You could put, "passed PE, 2017".  That would be better. 

You can do what you want but I would highly recommend not putting any form of PE after your name.

As others have said, I would state: Passed Principles and Practice of Engineering Civil Construction - April 2017

Or something similar.

I doubt I will update my resume any time soon, but if I do it will probably be supremeMilo, EIT (Passed PE exam in April 2017)

Can I add the title PE (Decoupling) after my name in LinkedIn or resume or ...

Did you update your resume/card/signature ?
Since I had to pass the ethics take home exam as part of the California application, I can say that the PE Act Chapter 7, Article 1 section 6704 seems pretty self-explanatory,

In order to safeguard life, health, property, and public welfare, no person shall practice civil, electrical, or mechanical engineering unless appropriately licensed or specifically exempted from licensure under this chapter, and only persons licensed under this chapter shall be entitled to take and use the titles “consulting engineer,” “professional engineer,” or “registered engineer,” or any combination of those titles or abbreviations thereof, and according to licensure with the board the engineering branch titles specified in Section 6732, or the authority titles specified in Sections 6736 and 6736.1, or the title “engineer-in-training.”
Or section 3732,

"6732. Use of seal, stamp or title by unregistered person It is unlawful for anyone other than a professional engineer licensed under this chapter to stamp or seal any plans, specifications, plats, reports, or other documents with the seal or stamp of a professional engineer, or in any manner, use the title “professional engineer,” “licensed engineer,” “registered engineer,” or “consulting engineer,” or any of the following branch titles: “agricultural engineer,” “chemical engineer,” “civil engineer,” “control system engineer,” “electrical engineer,” “fire protection engineer,” “industrial engineer,” “mechanical engineer,” “metallurgical engineer,” “nuclear engineer,” “petroleum engineer,” or “traffic engineer,” or any combination of these words and phrases or abbreviations thereof unless licensed under this chapter."
And finally section 6787,

Who uses the title, or any combination of that title, of “professional engineer,” “licensed engineer,” “registered engineer,” or the branch titles specified in Section 6732, or the authority titles specified in Sections 6736 and 6736.1, or “engineer-in-training,” or who makes use of any abbreviation of such title that might lead to the belief that he or she is a licensed engineer, is authorized to use the titles specified in Section 6736 or 6736.1, or holds a certificate as an engineer-in-training, without being licensed, authorized, or certified as required by this chapter.
As this issue was described by me, until you hold a license you can't use the words or letters associated with engineer on your resume or linkedin title. You can list the test as something you passed and hopefully you get the chance to explain your situation to the recruiter/hiring manager, but if you're just waiting for a license just wait the month or two it will take your state to issue you a valid license. Otherwise, you risk losing it all over misrepresentation.

*described to me... man I wish there was an edit button.

I doubt I will update my resume any time soon, but if I do it will probably be supremeMilo, EIT (Passed PE exam in April 2017)
I was specifically told by my PE course's instructor to remove ET from resume title and linkedin title so I would recommend against that.

I was specifically told by my PE course's instructor to remove ET from resume title and linkedin title so I would recommend against that.
At least in Pennsylvania, EIT is a license so there's no need to remove it from your resume, etc. It may not hold much weight but still.

But then they might think you aren't a PE or an EIT...

I posted a screenshot of my NCEES dashboard showing the green pass to my LinkedIn feed, but other than that haven't done anything. Heading to the notary after lunch to get my application notarized and mailed off. This is the first exam session for NC with the decoupling going into effect, I hope it doesn't take them too long to process my application.  <_<

Last edited by a moderator:
At least in California there is no license for EIT, and I don't currently possess my license as a PE (waiting on California board meeting for the April 2017 exam results and then they need to issue licenses). As such, I was told by my instructor and supervisor that putting EIT or PE (pending) etc. would be a misdemeanor and likely result in a revocation of my license (after it is issued) if I were to, on a private title, include PE or EIT. This includes resumes, LinkedIn profile title, or personal business cards. While it is extremely unlikely that in the next month someone would report me, I have very little to gain for such a large risk. I think there is wiggle room to add EIT or references to engineer in your work signature/business card as long as you work under professional engineers.

The smart thing to do, IMO, is to wait until you can search yourself on your state board's license lookup. If you can find it then everyone can find it and there is no way that this can be construed as misrepresentation.

But then they might think you aren't a PE or an EIT...
Passing the FE exam was listed as an accomplishment. The companies that I interviewed with understood this meant I passed and wanted to become a PE and there was no ambiguity as to license status. If I wrote PE, even with a conditional, in my title I would be stepping into most interviews where the hiring manager assumed I was licensed. If that interview happened at this moment, that would be misrepresentation. If I were interviewing at this exact moment I might add that I passed the NCEES PE exam and explain to the hiring manager my exact situation, but I would never add PE to my title/heading. I'd rather be passed up on a position in the next month than have to defend the actions or potentially lose my license before I can even use it...

This is my understanding of California's rules. I discussed with my PE instructor and the PEs at my company and we agree--just wait until the license is searchable.

Back