PE test discipline

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dukebound85

Reaction score
Hi all, first time here and I have a question in regards to the PE exam.

I have a BS in mechanical engineering. Took the FE in October 2007 and passed. Looking to take the PE exam. I live and work in Colorado.

I work in a civil engineering capacity these days and will need to have a PE to stay on as a engineer with the company I am with. My question is that most of my work experience is in Mechanical and I could be in another mechanical job down the road.

With that said, I know that the PE exam is discipline specific but is the license? If I were to the the PE in mechanical (more familiar) and pass, would it have any different bearing than taking and studying for the PE in civil? Keep in mind that if I had a PE and took the mechanical test prior to my current job, that would have been fine to my understanding. I realize you should never stamp in a field you are not competent in but as far as taking an exam, if I pass the PE on the mech test, will anyone know that it was the mech test and not civil? 

The online database (DORA for Colorado) only lists the PE license number and not the test/discipline in which the examination was. I know that many engineers do a variety of engineering fields which may be the reason why.

Can anyone confirm? I would like to take the test I feel more at ease with, even if my present job is in a differing field.

I think it depends on the state.  I believe in some states a PE is a PE.  In others states, it is discipline specific.  Check with your state.  Check with states you may need in the future.  Worse case, take and pass both exams.  :)  

I think it depends on the state.  I believe in some states a PE is a PE.  In others states, it is discipline specific.  Check with your state.  Check with states you may need in the future.  Worse case, take and pass both exams.  :)  
I agree that most states treat a PE as a PE regardless of what test you take. Afterall, most approve you to take the test before you can even register. Future states could be a big issue though. It would suck if you move to a state that requires you to pass a specific test and then you have to take the test all over again in the second discipline.  

Back