HCM - 2010 Important Chapters

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Traffic-PE

Reaction score
I am studying through the HCM-2010; VOLUME 2 was easy and most of the problems can be solved through hand calculation. However, volume 3 is pretty hard to do any hand calculation, can you please advise on which chapters I have to most spend time on?

I am studying through the HCM-2010; VOLUME 2 was easy and most of the problems can be solved through hand calculation. However, volume 3 is pretty hard to do any hand calculation, can you please advise on which chapters I have to most spend time on?
Just follow the NCEES outline

I thought Vol 3 was not even on the NCEES reference list..... but I guess it is.  Yikes.  :-O

If it were me, I'd ignore it.  I don't see how they can test you on Vol 3. 

http://ncees.org/wp-content/uploads/Civ-Tran-October-2016_with-design-standards2.pdf 

HCM
Highway Capacity Manual 2010, vols. 1–3, Transportation Research Board— National Research Council, Washington, DC. This includes the following:  

Approved HCM 2010 Corrections and Clarifications (as of January 2014)

Approved HCM 2010 Interpretations (as of January 2014)

Replacement HCM 2010 Volume 1–3 pages (April 2014)

Replacement HCM 2010 Volume 1–3 pages (January 12–February 13)

Replacement HCM 2010 Volume 1–3 pages (March 2013)

I didn't use (or study) Volume 3 at all, but I brought it to the exam just in case. Only Volume 1 and 2 were used on the April 2016 exam.

I just took the exam in April 2017 and there are a couple Volume 3 sections to pay attention to - not really in terms of calculations but questions about what adjustment factors come into play. Also, maybe a step or two of a series of calculations to determine pedestrian level of service. Regardless - bring it to the exam and at least familiarize yourself with the general contents of the exam. You don't have to do practice problems but you'll have it in case you need to do a problem. 

I recommend familiarizing with all reference books, glance through the sections. It helped me with my PE exam in April.

Back