What are your Non-Passing Scores? Too soon?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrStructuralEngineer

Reaction score
I'm curious to know what the non passing scores are. I realize emotions are high but I've seen a few people not pass the structural and no one that has. Its making me nervous!

Are we talking in percents, or number of problems right, or number of problems wrong?

I thought Texas was the only one that released scores and Texas results aren't in yet?

I was under the impression that they curve the tests so that 70% and above is always passing, but the number of correct answers to achieve 70% varies and is almost always lower.  So simply saying that you failed with a 68% doesn't really say much in regards to how many problems they got right or wrong.

I thought Texas was the only one that released scores and Texas results aren't in yet?
Every state releases your score with the diagnostic if you fail.

I was under the impression that they curve the tests so that 70% and above is always passing, but the number of correct answers to achieve 70% varies and is almost always lower.  So simply saying that you failed with a 68% doesn't really say much in regards to how many problems they got right or wrong.
The passing scores are different every cycle depending on the difficulty of problems.

Common misconception. I actually read through the entire CERM pre-amble and it explains it in there. From my understanding they determine the number of questions that you must get right to be considered competent and it really has nothing to do with the percentage.

There isn't a curve, or a set cut score. It will vary test session and discipline.

glad I'm not in alabama! then again with a 68/80 being passing it's probably the safest state in terms of potential for engineering disasters
Every state is supposed to use the same cut score by session and discipline. However Georgia, and possibly Alabama, give bonus points to disable veterans.

Every state is supposed to use the same cut score by session and discipline. However Georgia, and possibly Alabama, give bonus points to disable veterans.
Is the bonus points thing actually true?  If it is, that is completely BS for everyone else.

Common misconception. I actually read through the entire CERM pre-amble and it explains it in there. From my understanding they determine the number of questions that you must get right to be considered competent and it really has nothing to do with the percentage.
So why curve the % score to begin with?  For instance, the October test I did rather poorly on and got something like 44/80 questions correct.  However, this showed up as scoring a 67% when I checked my grade on the Texas Board of Professional Engineers grade lookup.  So it appears that they decided that a 47/80 (or something around there) was the minimum passing score.  This would mean the passing % (in terms of the number of problems out of 80 you needed to get correct) was around 59%.  However, getting 59% of the problems correct would be displayed at scoring a 70%.  The whole thing is just confusing. 

So why curve the % score to begin with?  For instance, the October test I did rather poorly on and got something like 44/80 questions correct.  However, this showed up as scoring a 67% when I checked my grade on the Texas Board of Professional Engineers grade lookup.  So it appears that they decided that a 47/80 (or something around there) was the minimum passing score.  This would mean the passing % (in terms of the number of problems out of 80 you needed to get correct) was around 59%.  However, getting 59% of the problems correct would be displayed at scoring a 70%.  The whole thing is just confusing. 
:huh:  well that's something new. Just when I thought I had this whole scoring thing figured out...

Only Texas reports percentages. Everyone else reports questions correct out of total questions.

Back