ICC Welding Certification vs AWS CWI

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gb25

FInally.....an Engineer
Reaction score
Special inspection as a whole has finally started to be a requirement in our area. I don't know if it deals with better educated building officials or what but anyhow I am looking at which certification I should look at getting? We do a great deal of inspection work for our quality control projects and I want to be sure I get the correct one 

I'm doing the ICC certification with 2015 codes. I do not know anyone that has had to get the Special Inspector Certification since they changed the code. There are only 2 people in my tri-county area that have it, and they were grandfathered in back in 2001, lucky bastards.

At this time, this is more valuable than the SE license in Florida (once you have your PE).

That is how it is in my area in Tennessee, I am one of the few that have any of the ICC Certifications. I am going ahead and studying to do the ICC Welding since I just passed the Structural Bolting Exam. I thought my studying days were behind once I passed the PE, boy was I wrong lol

As much as I hate it (I won't get on my soapbox with regards to the CWI exam and its prerequisites), but a CWI adds immediate value to any inspector in any structural area in any part of the country.  ICC is very location dependent, usually in seismic regions.  If you take the CWI, I think you get to skip the welding portion of the ICC.  That said, if you have not been doing welding inspections for some period of time, you may lack the prerequisites necessary to take the CWI in the first place.  Not sure about the ICC prereq's.

As much as I hate it (I won't get on my soapbox with regards to the CWI exam and its prerequisites), but a CWI adds immediate value to any inspector in any structural area in any part of the country.  ICC is very location dependent, usually in seismic regions.  If you take the CWI, I think you get to skip the welding portion of the ICC.  That said, if you have not been doing welding inspections for some period of time, you may lack the prerequisites necessary to take the CWI in the first place.  Not sure about the ICC prereq's.
Thank you sir for the feedback, I am gonna take the ICC Welding exam and after I get more experience I most likely will take the CWI exam.

Back