Construction Depth 2017

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WE WERE THE MULVANEYS

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to the forum and wanted to mention, I found some good advice here while studying for the exam. I wanted to share my experience to help others.

I took the Dr. Tom's Civil Classroom Course for the depth, I thought it was okay, has anyone else taken this course while studying for the April Exam? What did they think?

I was also stuck on some problems where i didn't think they were quite delivered well, what did others think? I made this comment to NCEES on the survey.

I have also found good advice on this forum and wish I had seen more of it sooner. I didn't take the Civil Classroom Course, but I did take Testmasters and now wish I had worked far more problems than I did.... And I worked a ton as it was.

In the afternoon Construction I went through the problems and ranked them based on what types they were and what I thought the difficulty would be based on my experience with that topic, but to my surprise, some of them that I thought would be easy did seem to have some weird information that either complicated the problem for me, or I made more complicated than I should have. I worked through most of the problems and got answers (whether they were worked properly will be determined in 4-6 weeks), but there were definitely more than a few that I went back to with my additional time and I still couldn't work towards an answer.

I don't know how other people feel when they walk out of the exam, but for me it's a toss up. I prepared well, I worked, I studied, I caught up with topics I haven't seen in a decade, I was very familiar with my reference material, but I did not walk out with the confidence I feel that I should have had. It's hard for me to remember approximately how many I didn't feel good about, and I didn't do the smart thing and tally up during the exam.

For me, it would be good to hear from people who walked away and either a) knew they passed, b) weren't sure if they passed, but found out they did and c) weren't sure if they passed/felt they failed and then received a failing score and what they did to prepare for the next exam.

During this waiting game I just want to prepare myself for the very high possibility of having to retake and ensuring that I won't have to...ever...again. It's not my ideal way to spend a pleasant Friday.

I also took the Construction Depth and feel cautiously optimistic.  I felt really good after the morning session, but the afternoon was more difficult.  I was able to work about half with a high degree of certainty, and the rest I can't be sure of.  I took the Test Masters course and also had a School of PE binder...I worked every problem that I could get my hands on!  I felt really prepared going in, but I am still uncertain if I did enough. 

Anyone else have any thoughts on the Construction exam?

I took School of PE and had all references that NCEES suggested.

I still don't have results yet though - waiting for MN to release them.

I have at least 300 hours into this exam...

I guess I will have to just study harder, does anyone recommend EET's construction depth?
Mulvaney,

I used EET On Demand for the breadth and the depth. I cannot say enough about EET. I fully credit them with my passing score. I highly recommend it. They really "focused the searchlight" during studying. Samir Ead handles the construction depth lectures. I found him to be a great instructor.

I brought my two 3" binders from the EET course to the exam and they were by far my most-used references. More than any reference manual or textbook. I also took a few 1.5" binders of solved problems and never looked at them. It seemed like cheap insurance that I ended up not needing. 

Mulvaney,

I used EET On Demand for the breadth and the depth. I cannot say enough about EET. I fully credit them with my passing score. I highly recommend it. They really "focused the searchlight" during studying. Samir Ead handles the construction depth lectures. I found him to be a great instructor.

I brought my two 3" binders from the EET course to the exam and they were by far my most-used references. More than any reference manual or textbook. I also took a few 1.5" binders of solved problems and never looked at them. It seemed like cheap insurance that I ended up not needing. 
Thanks for the reply

I guess I will have to just study harder, does anyone recommend EET's construction depth?
I did EET breadth and PM transportation. Samir taught both pm transportation and construction classes. With my experience with his transportation class, I believe the construction class would be as great as transportation one. You would love his teaching style. 

You won't be disappointed with EET. 

Really looking forward to taking the EET Construction Depth. I had no business taking the construction depth on the April 2017 exam, even after studying my buddies Testmasters and School of PE binders, they didn't prepare me hardly at all for the afternoon construction section. With not having good experience with surveying, estimating, crane analysis I really need a good preparatory class for the October exam. I froze up even on the production rate questions having not seen MH/ton or even knowing what a true Manhour is. I took a prep course in my hometown that covered jack for the afternoon section.

Back