Job Leads

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Voomie

PE
Reaction score
Hi I am looking to change jobs and I am wondering where do people look for job leads? I have tried a few job sites like indeed and monster but no luck on an interview yet.

I know some of those places are really vague so you can't directly contact, but I would suggest using a listing and doing some investigating to figure out a good contact and try to reach out and around the job site

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Also I'm reaching out to a friend who is in development in the semi kind of area and seeing if he has any contacts for you

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I have tried LinkedIn as well. I have been looking for about 3 months and I only gotten recruiters calling me. No interviews yet. Not sure if I need to change my resume or my search strategy.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Could always go old school and send resumes to any and everyone around. Might get lucky.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Try to build up your LinkedIn network. It tends to grow and an exponential rate. Also try looking around your area for any professional development and/or networking opportunities.

Do you have a local transportation engineering society that you could check for a jobs listing? I ask because I think the Structural Engineers Association of Northern California puts out a monthly newsletter that lists firms that are looking to hire. This is probably where I would go first, were I looking to change companies.

I found my current job (that I love) on Craigslist. It might seem like a weird place to look, but you never know!

I also tried looking at companies' websites. Often times, companies that are hiring seemed to mention that under the "careers" or "jobs" tabs. Even if not, it could be worth just sending in your resume in and inquiring about working there. It might work! I have had it work for me in the past. The trickiest part about this method can be finding the specific names of companies.

Good luck in your search!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi I am looking to change jobs and I am wondering where do people look for job leads? I have tried a few job sites like indeed and monster but no luck on an interview yet.
In my recent experience it's about a 200:1 ratio of resumes submitted to the internet void to actual interviews (depressing, but true). Talking to recruiters/actual humans definitely improves those odds.

It sounds like you've been in contact with some recruiters who haven't gotten you interviews - I'd suggest asking them if there are ways to tweak your resume to be more competitive. I'm assuming most transpo job descriptions are pretty similar, so you may be able to get away with only having one resume (rather than tailoring your resume to each job posting) but definitely make sure you are including relevant buzzwords/specific terms listed in the job descriptions. It's almost comical how much a resume should mimic a job posting, but a lot of times the first person to weed out possible candidates doesn't actually have any technical knowledge in the field and they just see "oh, he has the same words as in the job description!" and assume you're qualified based on that. 

Bottom line, getting a good job takes effort, so don't give up.

Make a list of all companies in the areas you want to work in the field that you're interested then call/email them if you can't find their job listings. Most likely, you will have to apply through their website. If you're looking for government employers, look on their local/city/state website or usajobs.

A lot of companies require online applications, not even emails. You might end up applying to a lot and still only hear from a few. Keep in mind that many, especially government ones, could take 3 months to hear back. I had a job for 6 months and MA agencies were calling for interviews.

In addition to your online applications, hit up friends, school/professional colleagues to see what's going on with their companies. Attend local association meetings. Most of them have a monthly or quarterly lunch or some other gathering. I had professor offer to send requests for me when I was right out of school. It made things easier having someone they knew inquire for me. Point is, professors are good resources.

Make sure your resume is built for the job you're looking for and reflects keywords found in the job descriptions that interest you. Online applications filter resumes. And for government ones, make sure the resume has the other items they require. For example they often ask that each job shows the length of time and how many hours per week... things like that.

I've had loads of recruiters on linkedin contact me and asking if I'm looking for new opportunities. But when I was looking, they never responded back to me. I wouldn't spend much time on recruiters unless they're the ones reaching out.

Sent from my SURTAB-722-3G-HD-1S using Tapatalk

Back