HelP! I think I will fail my PE

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick F

Reaction score
I think I am going to fail my PE in Chemical E despite studying since September. It is this Friday! I had ordered an NCEES practice exam last week and was shocked I could hardly answer any of the questions. I really feel like giving up at this point. I don't think there is any hope for me anymore. I have tried and tried to understand the material, and I just cannot do it anymore. I have been out of school for 12 years, and this whole experience has been  emotionally and physically draining for me. I don't think I am cut out for this anymore. I seem to be having trouble with just basic algebra. I do not know how I passed my FE almost 10 years ago! What can I do? This is affecting my quality of life severely. I am not getting enough sleep. I was on stimulant medication to try and get through this, but that did not work. I feel I tried everything, including ordering the CHERM AND PP book and working as many problems as I could over the months. I was understanding the material well at one point, but it's like my retention is garbage, and the whole test experience with the timing is giving me so much anxiety I cannot even focus anymore. It's like I have forgotten everything now, and I have having a panic attack and anxiety. I feel like I just wasted a ton of money. I don't want to have to go through this harrowing experience anymore. I just want my life back. I have given up so many weekends to hole myself up in my apartment over a book. I just wish there was a way I could magically remember everything I studied or just be smarter ;(

Deep breath - You'll make it through the experience and be better for it regardless of the outcome of the test. At this point, unless you are having severe anxiety / panic attacks, I'd take the test on Friday. You spent the time to get this far, it would be a shame to give up now! I have problems dealing with stress myself sometimes, so I know it's hard to hear someone else tell you to relax, that you're worrying about something you don't have control over. At this point, you know what you know, and cramming over the next few days is probably just going to make retention worse. 

What is the worst thing that could happen in this scenario? You take the test and fail. Is that a waste of time? I'd say no, the practice and experience going through the whole effort will better help guide you next time. It'll also help reduce test anxiety next time. If there is no next time, you should still be proud - committing this much time to self improvement is commendable.  

I'm rooting for you man. You can do it, just take a deep breath and follow your instincts when taking the test. Take the next few days and try to relax, get loose, catch up on sleep. Go into it assuming that you're just there to get the hang of the test, who cares about the result. Hopefully you'll be pleasantly surprised. 

I agree with everything apford has said.

You don't have to have everything memorized just do your best to have all references tabbed in a way that you can easily locate the information.

Try to take some time to relax, it sounds like you’re burned out from studying and now are in panic mode. Many people don’t even get to the point of considering taking the exam let alone actually studying for it so you should be proud with where you’ve gotten. If I were you I’d still take the test since you’ve put so much time, effort, and money into it and it would be sad to see it spent in vain.

No matter the outcome of the test I think of it as winning; worst case you’ll see how the exam is ran and you will be provided a break down sheet showing your weak points. I wish you the best of luck and that you are able to surprise yourself.

“It is not the critic who counts. Not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause. Who—at the best—knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who—at the worst—at least fails while daring greatly so that his place shall never be with those timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.”

Think of it this way, "failure is not an option"

and the only time you fail is when you simply give up!

For what's it worth:  I agree with all the input provided on this, in other words keep calm, deep breaths, trust your preparation, etc. I was out of school for quite a while, but passed the environmental and chemical exams.  Each time I went in with a feeling of uncertainty and wondering what else I should have done.  For the chemical, I tried timed testing scenarios with Kaplan's and PPI's Vasquez & Zinn's practice exams, and was humbled by the results.  However, I also found those experiences helpful in learning/reinforcing concepts, and was better for it when taking the actual exam.  Moral of the story is trust yourself and your prep.  Regardless of the result, I think you'll be better off for following through and taking the exam.  Good luck!

Back