Fasteners Handbook ?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katiejune

Reaction score
For those of you taking Machine Design & Materials, what handbook are you bringing for fastener strengths? In one of the practice test problems, NCEES referenced the strength of a specific threaded rod and I was wondering what reference material you are bringing for these types of look-ups. Thank you!

Grades and tensile stress areas are covered in the MERM (basic machine design, section 9 - bolts). However, if you are looking for another reference, machinery's handbook is a very good reference to have even outside of the exam. 

Thanks that is helpful, I do have both references and was looking for that. I was looking also for weight of round bar (etc), do you know if that is included anywhere? I found a steel sizes & weights chart online that I printed but I'm wondering if you know if that's covered in these references?

Machinery's handbook will swallow you whole unless you know where to look for something. I'd stick to MERM or Shigley.

Regarding raw material handbooks... A few graybeard engineers over here had the Jorgensen "blue book" back when I first started. I wanted one so bad I bought a 1961 copy off eBay. (It was basically the same but all the phone numbers were 5 digits. Seriously. ) Stock sizes, weights, which steel/aluminum etc to use for which application, hardness to strength conversions, etc. it had a ton of useful stuff.

Well fast forward a few years, and EMJ (Jorgensen) is making them again, in the original blue spiral bound. Also, they are free.

Here's the link: http://www.emjmetals.com/site/contact/request-bluebook

40faf5b5807943f904aefe837b0698f1.jpg

I knew it was to good to be true.  Just got an email from the local rep of EMJ wanting to meet in person and bring a copy of the book...

Back