Good luck, everyone!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TehMightyEngineer

BRB Starting an Engineering Firm
Reaction score
Good luck with this final week of studying.

43811786.jpg

There was stuff on that exam that I had never seen before.  I spent countless hours studying, but 3/4 of the afternoon lateral questions was stuff that I didn't even know what the heck they were asking.  I BS'd my way through 1 of the 3, but in the end I knew it wasn't going to be enough because I couldn't answer more than one part of the other 2.  I walked out after 2.5 hours defeated with my head in my hands and my tail between my legs.  It's unreal how much of that test (both days) was stuff I had never seen.  It seemed the only stuff I felt confident on wasn't even on it. It's on to the PE for me.

There was stuff on that exam that I had never seen before.  I spent countless hours studying, but 3/4 of the afternoon lateral questions was stuff that I didn't even know what the heck they were asking.  I BS'd my way through 1 of the 3, but in the end I knew it wasn't going to be enough because I couldn't answer more than one part of the other 2.  I walked out after 2.5 hours defeated with my head in my hands and my tail between my legs.  It's unreal how much of that test (both days) was stuff I had never seen.  It seemed the only stuff I felt confident on wasn't even on it. It's on to the PE for me.
Did you take Bridges or Buildings?

Illinois certainly isn't making this test any easier.  I just want to thank NCEES for giving the worst accommodations for taking the most important exam of my career.  There was a business party in the adjacent room where we were able to listen to people yell and get drunk and party while we tried to focus.  I spend 6 months studying for an exam and have to deal with my table shaking from a party next door.  There was about +/- 250 people in that room x $500/ person nearing $130,000 to take that test and they cannot accommodate us and potentially ruin peoples lives.

Also want to thank NCEES for making one test to the next substantially different in difficulty, it really shows that you provide a fair opportunity for everyone but we know this is Illinois where the idea of fairness and ethics is comical.

I walked out after 2.5 hours defeated with my head in my hands and my tail between my legs.  It's unreal how much of that test (both days) was stuff I had never seen.  
I took both components last October for the first time and passed only the vertical.  My opinion is that this recent exam's lateral afternoon was even more difficult.  I understand your frustration, but we just have learn from the exam and do it again if needed. 

I took both components last October for the first time and passed only the vertical.  My opinion is that this recent exam's lateral afternoon was even more difficult.  I understand your frustration, but we just have learn from the exam and do it again if needed. 
Congrats on passing vertical. Buildings or bridges? Just out of curiosity, how did you feel about your performance on vertical after walking out of the exam? 

I just sat for vertical buildings and feel semi-confident. Tripped up on a few things in the afternoon, but nothing too major. I was able to complete mostly everything in the allotted amount of time. 

Congrats on passing vertical. Buildings or bridges? Just out of curiosity, how did you feel about your performance on vertical after walking out of the exam? 

I just sat for vertical buildings and feel semi-confident. Tripped up on a few things in the afternoon, but nothing too major. I was able to complete mostly everything in the allotted amount of time. 
Thanks.  Buildings....I felt horrible....still feel like they accidentally graded someone else's.  My chicken scratch was terrible.  I was surprised how much I had to rush.  

If you feel semi ok about it and you were good with time, you most likely did well.  Good luck.   

Thanks.  Buildings....I felt horrible....still feel like they accidentally graded someone else's.  My chicken scratch was terrible.  I was surprised how much I had to rush.  

If you feel semi ok about it and you were good with time, you most likely did well.  Good luck.   
Oh wow, thanks for the input. That makes me feel better. Hopefully you're feeling a little more confident about this year's lateral component. I'll being tackling that this October. 

I'm hearing a wide variety of comments back from people in the PPI review course. Some people felt this was easier than October, but based on the responses I'm going to guess it's about the same if not worse. The most common theme I'm hearing is everyone has mentioned how they saw problems with unexpected topics. Looks like this exam really threw people a bunch of curve balls.

so have you taken it before, then? You feel like this time around was a lot more difficult than in previous years? Did you take both Gravity and Lateral this weekend?
4th time taking lateral, passed vertical the first time I took it.  This was by far a much more difficult bridge afternoon than the last 3 times i have taken it.  I believe the last time was much simpler and they must of had a higher acceptable rate in the afternoon so they needed to make it harder.  I had a feeling this was going to be the case coming in and was prepared, i just dont understand how you can make a test so different, this means people get thru and become licensed at easier test times.

Back