Cost of retaking vs delaying?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ramk13

Reaction score
I'm a Texas PE who moved to CA last year. I filed my CA application and planned to take the Surveying and Seismic exams April 2017. Because of poor planning I've basically run out of time to study and I know I am under prepared for both exams. I'm confident in my abilities as long as I put in the work studying, but I know I haven't done that in this case. It isn't clear to me what happens if I cancel my current Prometric test registration compared to taking and failing the exam. It says on the board website if you are retaking the exam you have to complete an application refile, which is $150 per exam. The board authorization letter only says I'm authorized to take the exams in the spring. What happens if I just don't take the exams in the spring? Do I have the costs options correct here:

• Cancel Spring exams and register in the fall (will the board charge for reauthorization) = Prometric registration cost ($65) x 2 = $130
  • Fail both exams and refile + register = $150 x 2 + $65 * 2 = $430
Of course there's a chance I could cram like crazy and pass, but I'm thinking the stress of trying to do that is not worth it.

I would go in just for the experience alone and have a great time with the questions. If you know that you are not under pressure to pass, you may be surprised how well you can do. Test center experience will be valuable next time you take them..

What pushed me to cancel was that I got strep throat =( If I'm feeling better I might try, but at this point I'm not even going into work. Not ideal testing conditions.

Thanks for the advice, though. It would be valuable for the next try to see what the test/testing center are like. The money is already sunk in.

If you are feeling better, I would personally go to take the exams, too. You very well may surprise yourself and pass one or both.

As for cancelling and needing to reapply to take the exams, I am not sure what the procedure is. @CAPLS, do you have any relevant information for @ramk13?

I left a message with Jocelyn at the board this morning, but my Surveying exam is in about 24 hours. Hopefully I'll hear back before then.

If you do not appear for your exam, the fee will be forfeited.  Postponements are only allowed under very specific situations and should be detailed in the instructions on the Prometric web site and your authorization to test document.

What pushed me to cancel was that I got strep throat =( If I'm feeling better I might try, but at this point I'm not even going into work. Not ideal testing conditions.

Thanks for the advice, though. It would be valuable for the next try to see what the test/testing center are like. The money is already sunk in.
If it's due to medical reasons, I think you can simply fill out a postpone form. Of course a doctor's note will be required. 

although, like some persons have said, it'd be nice to go in and get a feel for the test, it'd probably wouldn't make sense to do so for two reasons:

- when you fail it is a huge downer and not good for your confidence

- the difference between test questions will be so broad (from one sitting to the next) that taking it this time wouldn't even make sense.

Take the exam anyway. I just took my first CBT exam last week for Seismic and I had a ton of nerves since the testing process and center were new to me. I have my Surveying test in the same center tomorrow but I am certain I won't be as nervous since I know how the CBTs are formatted.

I forget if it's in the NCEES agreement or the CA agreement but I am pretty sure it states that you can not take the test just for the experience - or something like that, I forget the exact wording.

I forget if it's in the NCEES agreement or the CA agreement but I am pretty sure it states that you can not take the test just for the experience - or something like that, I forget the exact wording.
Maybe this is what I was thinking about?

Examples of misconduct include, but are not limited to the following:

Writing on anything other than the designated examination booklet, solution booklet, and/or answer sheet;

Writing or erasing after time is called;

Viewing or copying another examinee’s material;

Talking during the examination;

Using an unauthorized calculating device;

Possession of a cell phone for any purpose during the examination;

Communicate or sharing reference materials, calculators, or any other examination materials with other examinees during the examination;

[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 205)]Attending this examination only to review or audit test materials; [/COLOR]

Copying any portion of the examination for any reason;

Possession of any other unauthorized item or material.

@ptatohed, that's interesting! It also makes sense to me.

Though I don't know how they could tell the difference between someone who was taking it honestly and just hadn't studied at all or, say, didn't bring any reference materials, vs. someone who is going just for the "experience".

But in any case, I don't think I was suggesting to go just for the experience. Certainly that would be part of it, but it would also be to see if one could pass. Heck, if one takes it without studying and manages to pass, either by talent or luck, I don't see that as going for just said experience.

I talked to Joceyln at the CA Board and she said not being prepared is not a valid reason for postponement, which I can understand. I'm still feeling a little sick, so I am probably not going attempt the Surveying test I have today. From what she said I'm basically forfeiting the fees involved, which is ok with me. All I need to do is fill out the reexamination forms after this testing cycle and I'll be able to take them in the fall. It's the same as if I had taken the tests and failed.

My seismic exam is in two weeks (4/25), and I might sit in for that to get the experience of the CBT format as everyone has suggested. Unlikely that I'll pass, but I can try!

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I talked to Joceyln at the CA Board and she said not being prepared is not a valid reason for postponement, which I can understand. I'm still feeling a little sick, so I am probably not going attempt the Surveying test I have today. From what she said I'm basically forfeiting the fees involved, which is ok with me. All I need to do is fill out the reexamination forms after this testing cycle and I'll be able to take them in the fall. It's the same as if I had taken the tests and failed.

My seismic exam is in two weeks (4/25), and I might sit in for that to get the experience of the CBT format as everyone has suggested. Unlikely that I'll pass, but I can try!

Thanks for the advice everyone.
Take your survey exam, you paid for it.  There are quite a few common sense trig questions on the exam. 

Back