PE-Structural in depth / material for exam preparation

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ammar AL-Salami

Reaction score
I have my B.Sc. from Iraq and M.Eng. in civil engineering with emphasis on structural courses. I passed FE exam and I was in contact with Tx engineering board and almost done with EIT requirement, my next step is PE certification. I do enjoy structural analysis and design and willing to proceed in this area, but it seems like each school has it's on materials. Through my online searches, I felt ppi is a good place to start with, though their materials are **** expensive (I wish if I could buy them all); but time and money alway a challenge. I'm seeking your advice, what are the most reliable books and if I'm moving in the right direction ?...

Start out with the books required by NCEES. Bring everyone. Other than those, I personally used PPI's online practice problems and used the 30-day access. I just wrote down every PM problem and took it with me to the exam. Just be sure to know you steel tables and quick shortcuts and know statics. Go to http://www.thestructuralguy.com/ for steel tables to probably tab/know or watch the YouTube video from Engineered Mojo 5 steps to pass PE exam (type that in YouTube). They both give sound advice on PE exam structural.

Above is one link that should help. Search these boards and you will find lots of helpful info and study tips. There are many thoughts about self-study or courses. It depends on your learning style.

Ahlan Ammar

I'd strongly recommend the EET USA course

It's excellent and prepped me very well for the structural PE exam

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my opinion the Civil Engineering Reference Manual (CERM) and Structural Depth Reference Manual (SDRM) are enough to pass the Civil PE exam - Structural depth. Beside, you need to be familiar with the codes as there are some questions which you can directly pick up the answer from the design codes. Also making personal index for every type of questions was very helpful to find quickly the correct location where the answer may be.

Back