Breckenridge

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goodal

Reaction score
The family and I are going to Breckenridge for a few days of skiing next week.  Any suggestions on what not to miss skiing or dining wise?

I believe we are almost at the base, but the wife has taken care of that.  All I got to do is show up with my skis on.

Pray to Ullr for snow. It is supposed to be in the low 60s at the base of Aspen today.

Saw that.  They were supposed to get a boat load of snow Sunday, but somehow it went from 6-10" and cold to warm with 20% chance of rain overnight.

They got some good stuff earlier in the week but mid mtn will probably be slick and slush at the bottom... stay upper mtn for better snow...

We're going Sunday to either copper or Mary Jane depending who gets more snow...

Good thing is that crowds should be minimal

Although it pissed off the locals the new beck peak 8? Lift is the highest one in the world I think? If you are going to breck I would defin check that one out. (It upset the locals because it was one that they used to "hike" to- so it was a turn you had to earn)

I like brecks downtown but there really isn't much dining wise that is anything to write home about (much like all Colorado food). But the local breweries are defin. worth visiting

Uh yea.  7 and 8 are double black.  Pretty sure me and my rental skis are not cleared for that much excitement.  

We are a bit better than that, but I don't go on double blacks intentionally.  I'm a solid blue skiier and occasional single black when my legs are fresh.

there is a short black at steamboat that saves you a ton of time trying to get back to the gondola. it is hysterical seeing all the various type of people that try and do that and they manner in which they "slow" themselves to get down. Its like watching a drunken day at the boat ramp!

I just got a snow alert saying 2-6 inches Saturday night so hopefully you'll get some decent stuff (about all you can expect this time of year) but at least you wont need a ton of cold gear

Hope you got some snow goodal- we were 30 miles away at copper and it was really coming down hard. But we noticed as we drove home by breck/Frisco it was sunny out...

And we literally had the place to ourselves- it was awesome- I almost didn't go but my daughter (pictured) was very persistent - especially once she found out her brothers couldn't go!

b0b88b58cd4e4affa24954df639c5947.jpg

And we literally had the place to ourselves- it was awesome- I almost didn't go but my daughter (pictured) was very persistent - especially once she found out her brothers couldn't go!
That's crazy! In April no less...

March & April can have some really good snow days if you time it right and can sneak out of work. Weekends are typically crap because the slopes are filled with people trying to get "one more day" before everything melts.

We had a great time, but it was very warm all three days (near or over 60F).  Started off with all layers.  By Thursday we could have skiied in tshirts (some people did).  Got a little snow on Sunday, but nothing stuck.  We actually did technically take a double black on the Peak 6 bowl several times, but either it is mislabled or just a trail to a double black because it was not bad at all.  The two dots are my two youngest.  The pic was proof to their older brother that the took it.

2017-04-13 14.26.33.jpg

Yeah those bowls are not always as scary as they look (since you can cut across them diagonally) I think most are labeled as such due to the rocks and trees. but some are definitely true double blacks (like if they have the word "Chute" in the name ;) )

Glad you all had a good time. We probably drove right past you all Sunday.  I talked to a guy at my work that was at Breck that same Sunday and said it was awful, while 20 miles away at Copper we had around 4inches. Vail and Beaver Creek had 8 inches.. you just never know!

We have put our ski and board gear away for the season (we did hit 21 days) but this Sunday were going to snowshoe Quandary Peak (well as far as we can get)

Back