Would you redo becoming an engineer? - Page 2 - Shoot the Breeze - Engineer Boards
Engineer Boards
Sign in to follow this  
canadagoose

Would you redo becoming an engineer?

9 hours ago, Audi driver, P.E. said:

Yeah, but have you ever been threatened with a ban for correcting RG's word usage?

I've tried several times to point out areas of recommended improvement such as consistent formatting and naming of the forums.  He either ignores me or goes out of his way to make it more inconsistent.  Arrggghhh.  :S  No ban threat yet though.  

• Like 1

I would have chosen mechanical since it has many applications in all industries... versus Electrical which is too broad to apply any of your skills broadly toward any industry... too specialized.. Mechanical atleast you can become pro at CAD then take that anywhere from product development within any industry to civil engineering. Solid base. Solid. 

3 hours ago, Owism said:

I would have chosen mechanical since it has many applications in all industries... versus Electrical which is too broad to apply any of your skills broadly toward any industry... too specialized.. Mechanical atleast you can become pro at CAD then take that anywhere from product development within any industry to civil engineering. Solid base. Solid. 

Disagree. This really depends on what facet of electrical engineering you choose to focus on. My background and education focuses on power engineering. Anything from low voltage to high voltage (500kV). I use CAD electrical on a daily basis to analyze, create, and modify single line diagrams and switchgear layouts. It's also used to create electrical panel layouts. 

On 5/7/2018 at 11:00 PM, ptatohed said:

I've tried several times to point out areas of recommended improvement such as consistent formatting and naming of the forums.  He either ignores me or goes out of his way to make it more inconsistent.  Arrggghhh.  :S  No ban threat yet though.  

CdEIJmV.jpg

• Haha 3

23 hours ago, squaretaper said:

Oops.

20180504_192730_resized.jpg

I wouldn't show that off too much.  

• Like 1

On 5/8/2018 at 10:56 AM, knight1fox3 said:

Disagree. This really depends on what facet of electrical engineering you choose to focus on. My background and education focuses on power engineering. Anything from low voltage to high voltage (500kV). I use CAD electrical on a daily basis to analyze, create, and modify single line diagrams and switchgear layouts. It's also used to create electrical panel layouts. 

Just curious if you hire EIT's often and how many per year? Good to get an idea what the typical quota is per company. Thanks

6 minutes ago, matt267 PE said:

I wouldn't show that off too much.  

It definitely gets a lot of WTFs around the office.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Owism said:

Just curious if you hire EIT's often and how many per year? Good to get an idea what the typical quota is per company. Thanks

Engineers are not classified by that in most of private industry with the exception of the consulting world. If the position is entry level or 1-3 yrs experience, typically these are newer graduates would could be considered EITs but hold the title of engineer no less. For large companies in manufacturing and product development, having a PE typically doesn't have much bearing with the employer. 

29 minutes ago, knight1fox3 said:

Engineers are not classified by that in most of private industry with the exception of the consulting world. If the position is entry level or 1-3 yrs experience, typically these are newer graduates would could be considered EITs but hold the title of engineer no less. For large companies in manufacturing and product development, having a PE typically doesn't have much bearing with the employer. 

Agree. I'm in manufacturing and, while management definitely encourages us to get it, rarely are stamped drawings required. It's more of a warm fuzzy when bidding on projects or making a report look nice. However, when I was in the natural gas biz it was different. PEs of all disciplines were highly valued but not strictly required (since the drawings were stamped by the chief).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Road Guy said:

please see updated forum guidelines..

http://engineerboards.com/guidelines/

*Please...

14 hours ago, Audi driver, P.E. said:

CdEIJmV.jpg

Hey, who are we to judge?

But do remind me to bring some KY if I ever visit KC!  

• Like 1