CA PE application

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcuban

Reaction score
Hi, 

I have some questions about CA application if anyone can answer me. 

1. Do I have to take 8 hours (national test) first & pass before I apply for CA specific tests? Or I can apply all together at the same time? 

2. My boss is leaving, he will sign for my reference form. I didn't take 8 hours test yet. Does that form valid/good as long as it in sealed envelope until I apply for CA test? Will it be "expired"? 

TIA, 

MC

Hi, 

I have some questions about CA application if anyone can answer me. 

1. Do I have to take 8 hours (national test) first & pass before I apply for CA specific tests? Or I can apply all together at the same time? 

2. My boss is leaving, he will sign for my reference form. I didn't take 8 hours test yet. Does that form valid/good as long as it in sealed envelope until I apply for CA test? Will it be "expired"? 

TIA, 

MC
1.  No, but the California Board prefers it for several reasons and may eventually require it first.  One, since California is a discipline-specific state, the Board wants to see that you passed the national examination that is applicable to the license for which you are applying for.  For example, if you passed the PE-Mechanical exam (whichever one) and you apply to be licensed as a Civil Engineer, the Board will make you pass the PE-Civil exam.  Two, you registering and preparing for the national examination now has absolutely nothing to do with the application processing timeframe - hence you register and sit for the national examination on your own timeframe.  Three, since the California Board only requires passage of state exams for the Civil Engineer license, this new process improves mobility for those seeking engineering licensure in disciplines other than Civil - no final filing deadline for Non-Civil Engineer licensing applications because the review and processing is completely separate from exam registering/preparation timeframe.  California Board accepts applications year round now.

2. Based on your explanation, that engagement/reference form should essentially not expire.

Thanks @CAPLS for the reply. 

So, if I'm applying for CA PE civil license, I have passed the national examination  (PE civil) first, then apply for state specific exams? 

Thanks, 

MC

Thanks @CAPLS for the reply. 

So, if I'm applying for CA PE civil license, I have passed the national examination  (PE civil) first, then apply for state specific exams? 

Thanks, 

MC
No, you can apply for and pass the three exams in any order.  I passed:  CA-Survey (Fall '10), then NCEES 8-hr (Spring '11), then CA-Seismic (Fall '11). 

Back