PE POWER PREP MATERIALS

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lador

Reaction score
I know this topic may have been discussed in the past, but any recommendations for prep materials that I can use to prepare for my PE Power Exam.
Below are some materials that am planning to purchase:
1.    Prep Class
2.    Power Reference Manual – Camara
3.    NEC Handbook
4.    NCEES Practice Exam

Thanks for your response!

It's been discussed before but why not discuss it again. :D   I did not find Camara's book useful.  Problems don't match up to test problems.  Your other choices will do nicely.  Here's additional stuff I recommend:

• Georgia Tech prep course
  • Complex Imaginary sample tests
  • Complex Imaginary NEC drill book
  • Graffeo's book.  Engineer's Guide to Passing the Power PE (I always screw up the title.  You'll find it.)
  • Spin Up sample test book
  • The internet and Youtube.  Type in what you have a question about and someone is bound to have info.  Print off a copy and carry it into the test.
  • An NESC book.  Although you'll probably just need the table of contents.  Seriously. 
  • Take your favorite power system textbook in for moral support.it may help on transmission line questions.
  • Look online for energy management and utility rate info.  I'll be glad to send you some pages if you'd like.  it can be hard to find. 
  • As you do final reviews the last 2-3 weeks make up your cheat as you go along.  It will help ingrain the info into your head.
Just my opinion.

It's been discussed before but why not discuss it again. :D   I did not find Camara's book useful.  Problems don't match up to test problems.  Your other choices will do nicely.  Here's additional stuff I recommend:

• Georgia Tech prep course
  • Complex Imaginary sample tests
  • Complex Imaginary NEC drill book
  • Graffeo's book.  Engineer's Guide to Passing the Power PE (I always screw up the title.  You'll find it.)
  • Spin Up sample test book
  • The internet and Youtube.  Type in what you have a question about and someone is bound to have info.  Print off a copy and carry it into the test.
  • [COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]An NESC book.  Although you'll probably just need the table of contents.[/COLOR]  Seriously. 
  • Take your favorite power system textbook in for moral support.it may help on transmission line questions.
  • Look online for energy management and utility rate info.  I'll be glad to send you some pages if you'd like.  it can be hard to find. 
  • As you do final reviews the last 2-3 weeks make up your cheat as you go along.  It will help ingrain the info into your head.
Just my opinion.
Make sure you take the whole book, not just the TOC. This will be a lay up question and you'll kick yourself if you aren't prepared.

Make sure you take the whole book, not just the TOC. This will be a lay up question and you'll kick yourself if you aren't prepared.
second that. don't listen to those people that tell you that TOC is sufficient. They are being ridiculous (or trying to screw you).

second that. don't listen to those people that tell you that TOC is sufficient. They are being ridiculous (or trying to screw you).
With all due respect, I don't think I'm being ridiculous and I'm definitely not trying to screw anybody up.  Having said that, I recommended he take the whole book but would probably only need the TOC.  I'm just going by my personal experience and the opinion of the instructor for the GA Tech PE course.  It worked for me but it may not work for others.  It's just my opinion.  I hope you respect it  and I certainly respect yours.

Back