ABET Accreditation - Suggestion Box - Engineer Boards
Engineer Boards
Sign in to follow this  
cyn

ABET Accreditation

Hi All, I'm new at this so hope I'm posting in the right place.  I'm an EE student at the University of California. The program is sooo impacted that I am unable to get my classes.  I'm transferring to a another college that will have its ABET accreditation visit this fall. Then after many months will hear in August of 2018 whether or not they will be accredited. I know this is risking. How often do universities go through the ABET process and get turned down?  Thanks for you insights!

8 hours ago, cyn said:

Hi All, I'm new at this so hope I'm posting in the right place.  I'm an EE student at the University of California. The program is sooo impacted that I am unable to get my classes.  I'm transferring to a another college that will have its ABET accreditation visit this fall. Then after many months will hear in August of 2018 whether or not they will be accredited. I know this is risking. How often do universities go through the ABET process and get turned down?  Thanks for you insights!

Does the college in question already have their ABET accreditation, or are they applying for their first accreditation?  It is pretty rare for a college to lose accreditation based on one ABET visit.  If the visitors find problems with the program, there are a number of options for the visitors to apply to the college based on the number and severity of violations they find.  Only a program that is in complete disarray will lose their accreditation outright.  Most of the time, the college will be given the opportunity to address the violation, and there will be another ABET visit scheduled sooner than it normally would be to see if the violations have been adequately addressed.  I don't have any good insight on what percentage of new applications for accreditation are granted by ABET on the first visit.

Agree, if the school already has their accreditation then shouldn't be any problem. My last year my school was undergoing their re-accreditation. I remember one of the auditors came to one of our classes and asked us questions.