The path to PMP and CAPM along the way?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCDAVER

Reaction score
Big Square State, maybe it is a rectangle...
Hello all, first post here.  Ultimately my question to the PMP's and folks familiar with the PMI way, is what's the best way to get started on the material if you know nothing about it?  I have ordered the PMP Exam Prep book by Rita as well as the PMBOK to start the process.  There are also basic PMI courses, but does anybody have opinions if they're worth the money or if studying the two books above would be sufficient enough?  Is the CAPM certification a reasonable consideration to kick start the learning process?  (I'm about on year shy of the PMP experience requirement).

Background:  I've taken a position as an PM for a municipality's water and sewer department.  My supervisor is adamant that I pursue the PMP certification.  Along with that he wants to overhaul how our PM's manage projects and unify the process along the lines of the PMI way and has given me the task to spearhead this change.  (I'm young and ambitious and he wants to make changes now since a lot of our PM's will be retiring soon and wants to have a new process ready to go when we hire new PM's).  Like the other guys in the office my PM style has been learn as you go and ask the guys who have experience so I see the appeal in standardization.  I took and passed the PE last April so I don't expect the material studying bit to be terribly difficult when it's time for the cert exam.

Any advice, suggestions, or recommendations would be awesome.

Thanks, MCDAVER

Hello all, first post here.  Ultimately my question to the PMP's and folks familiar with the PMI way, is what's the best way to get started on the material if you know nothing about it?  I have ordered the PMP Exam Prep book by Rita as well as the PMBOK to start the process.  There are also basic PMI courses, but does anybody have opinions if they're worth the money or if studying the two books above would be sufficient enough?  Is the CAPM certification a reasonable consideration to kick start the learning process?  (I'm about on year shy of the PMP experience requirement).

Background:  I've taken a position as an PM for a municipality's water and sewer department.  My supervisor is adamant that I pursue the PMP certification.  Along with that he wants to overhaul how our PM's manage projects and unify the process along the lines of the PMI way and has given me the task to spearhead this change.  (I'm young and ambitious and he wants to make changes now since a lot of our PM's will be retiring soon and wants to have a new process ready to go when we hire new PM's).  Like the other guys in the office my PM style has been learn as you go and ask the guys who have experience so I see the appeal in standardization.  I took and passed the PE last April so I don't expect the material studying bit to be terribly difficult when it's time for the cert exam.

Any advice, suggestions, or recommendations would be awesome.

Thanks, MCDAVER
  1. What's the best way to get started on the material if you know nothing about it?  Go to the PMI website as a start.  You can also read a book on the PMP ( I read Kim Heldman's book but I heard Rita's book is good also.)
  2. There are also basic PMI courses, but does anybody have opinions if they're worth the money or if studying the two books above would be sufficient enough?  It depends on you and your learning style.  I took an online course and thought it helped.  You will need 36 formal Project Management training hours and if you do not have that, you will probably need to take a course.  There are hundreds of courses out there, On-Demand, LiveOnline, in person Bootcamps, and college courses with costs ranging from $60 to several thousand dollars.  Do some online research and see what works for you (It also depends on if you are paying for it or if you will get reimbursed).
  3. Is the CAPM certification a reasonable consideration to kick start the learning process?  (I'm about on year shy of the PMP experience requirement).  I had the experience and went straight for my PMP so I can't help you with this one.  I would probably just wait or just reflect on what Project Management experience you do have.   School projects, volunteer work, Church Work, Organization work, etc. can count towards the requirement.  You might have more experience than you realize.
You will need to study and put some time into it, but it is lot easier than the PE Exam. 

Last edited by a moderator:
  1. What's the best way to get started on the material if you know nothing about it?  Go to the PMI website as a start.  You can also read a book on the PMP ( I read Kim Heldman's book but I heard Rita's book is good also.)
  2. There are also basic PMI courses, but does anybody have opinions if they're worth the money or if studying the two books above would be sufficient enough?  It depends on you and your learning style.  I took an online course and thought it helped.  You will need 36 formal Project Management training hours and if you do not have that, you will probably need to take a course.  There are hundreds of courses out there, On-Demand, LiveOnline, in person Bootcamps, and college courses with costs ranging from $60 to several thousand dollars.  Do some online research and see what works for you (It also depends on if you are paying for it or if you will get reimbursed).
  3. Is the CAPM certification a reasonable consideration to kick start the learning process?  (I'm about on year shy of the PMP experience requirement).  I had the experience and went straight for my PMP so I can't help you with this one.  I would probably just wait or just reflect on what Project Management experience you do have.   School projects, volunteer work, Church Work, Organization work, etc. can count towards the requirement.  You might have more experience than you realize.
You will need to study and put some time into it, but it is lot easier than the PE Exam. 
Thanks for the reply ruggercsc.  When I started looking into it my general opinion of the PMI website is, "we have info for you...if you pay to be a member, otherwise pay to learn from our courses or bugger off," and it felt like I was getting nowhere fast so I figured I'd ask questions here, ha!  I am considering an on demand course for sure to fill the 35 hour requirement which will also help lay the foundation of knowledge.  As far as experience I'm not sure all the things you listed would count.  The PMP handbook says "professional project management experience."  I don't see school projects as being professional.  Maybe my interpretation is incorrect if that's worked for people in the past.  After reading more I might skip on the CAPM and just study up during this next year while I obtain the rest of the required experience and test for the PMP.  I appreciate your time and opinions.

Thanks, MCDAVER

Project Management Experience is Project Management Experience, whether it is in job you are paid for, a church Project, a volunteer project, a school project, etc.  I read somewhere (may have even been on this site) that someone used their wedding planning as Project Management Experience and it counted.  When I was getting my MBA, on two of my school projects I was actually an unpaid consultant and we were farmed out to local business.  One project we evaluated their accounting system and made improvement recommendations and another we evaluated a local credit union and made recommendations on how to increase their loan business.  I was not only not paid, but actually paid tuition out of my pocket to manage these projects and these were definitely "professional project management experience".  The PM course I took, one of the sample problems we worked on was planning a children's birthday as a project on understanding how to estimate costs.  The worst that can happen is your application gets audited and you are told to wait until a little while.

Many of the On Demand courses will give you advice on how to fill out the application and list your PM experience.    

I took the course from Udemy (Resit Gulec) and the instructor went through step by step for filling application, most online courses that provide the 35 hour requirement include very detailed instructions on filling application and test preparation. 

good luck.

Well dang. If planning a wedding and a child's birthday party count I might have more than I think...

That's neat some courses help outline the application process. 

I think I'll start with the books I've ordered, take a 35 hr course, scrounge up the hours and go straight for the PMP. 

What was your opinion of the Udemy course, PEgeo?

Well dang. If planning a wedding and a child's birthday party count I might have more than I think...

I think I'll start with the books I've ordered, take a 35 hr course, scrounge up the hours and go straight for the PMP. 

I know nothing about Udemy, but here is a link.  The course is 90% off and only $19.  At least if it isn't any good you are out less than a decent lunch.

https://www.udemy.com/pmp-exam-prep-earn-your-pmp-certification/

The PMBOK will give you an idea of the PMI PM structure and processes which is basically what's tested by the PMP.  The Mulcahy book, from all the folks I've talked to, is the best prep book out there.

I recommend both Head Start PMP and Rita Mulcahy's book. Read Head Start first to get an intuitive understanding of the process and it's logic. It's a pretty easy read, but I needed more depth to feel comfortable for the exam. That said, I'm particular and I'm generally not comfortable knowing "just enough" to pass. Then read Rita's book. Much more in depth, but I could see it feeling like a textbook with having a foundation in place and Head Start provided that foundation for me.

If I had to pick just one, I'd say Rita's book is it. I don't doubt that one could pass with either book, but I found myself recalling elements from both during the exam. If you have the time and a little extra to spend, however, use both. The cost of Head Start is far less than that of retaking the exam, both in terms of money and frustration.

I hope this helps.

Also, if you can get through the PMBOK once, it's beneficial. It's truly the cure for insomnia, but it's good to get your eyes on it.

I recommend both Head Start PMP and Rita Mulcahy's book.

Read Head Start first to get an intuitive understanding of the process and it's logic. It's a pretty easy read, but I needed more depth to feel comfortable for the exam. That said, I'm particular and I'm generally not comfortable knowing "just enough" to pass.

Then read Rita's book. Much more in depth, but I could see it feeling like a textbook without having a foundation in place and Head Start provided that foundation for me.

If I had to pick just one, I'd say Rita's book is it. I don't doubt that one could pass with either book, but I found myself recalling elements from both during the exam. If you have the time and a little extra to spend, however, use both. The cost of Head Start is far less than that of retaking the exam, both in terms of money and frustration.

I hope this helps.

The course was reasonable with good questions sets for each topic and simulated exams.  It was worth the price for meeting the 35-hr requirement and general coverage of the test content.  Rita's book is the best reference, I also used Velociteach which has very good videos.

Be careful with experience claims if audited you will need to furnish documentation to prove all experience. 

Solid advice.  I think I'll jump on the Udemy course.  It's dropped to $15 which is crazy inexpensive to fulfill the 35 hour requirement.  I'll start plugging through the PMBOK, Rita's Exam Prep book, the course and then apply for PMP.

Thanks again everybody.  Definitely feel squared away to kick start this certification journey.

Solid advice.  I think I'll jump on the Udemy course.  It's dropped to $15 which is crazy inexpensive to fulfill the 35 hour requirement.  I'll start plugging through the PMBOK, Rita's Exam Prep book, the course and then apply for PMP.

Thanks again everybody.  Definitely feel squared away to kick start this certification journey.
@MCDAVER please tell us, how did it go? I'm about to do the same: 

1)Rita's Book

2)Head First PMP: A Brain-Friendly Guide to Passing the Project Management Professional Exam

and

3)Udemy

Back