AASHTO 7th Ed., Interim question

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PowerStroke79_PE

Reaction score
AASHTO website has the 7th edition without Interim and states they are not needed for the PE exam (the interim). However, I can't find where the NCEES Exam specification states this. Anyone know for sure? I've never used the manual and have no idea. Please advise... 

AASHTO LRFD Bridge Design Specifications. 

https://bookstore.transportation.org/item_details.aspx?ID=1541

They state this version is good for the PE exam, and its a much lower price, than the version with the Interims. However, on NCEES exam specs, I don't see where they state interims are not needed for exam. Its a fair price compared to the $800 bucks for all inclusive version. 
I think it is fair to assume that if the Interim edition was required for the exam, NCEES would state so. 

Last edited by a moderator:
It would be asking a lot to require the interims because of how poorly they are implemented in AASHTO. There is nothing in the code itself to clue you into the fact that something has changed. For example, the methodology for calculation of development length of reinforcing bars in concrete is very different (5.11.2), but you wouldn't know unless you happened to browse through that section of the Interims. 

I agree with ptatohed, if the Interims were needed, NCEES would state so.

Back