References

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eg24

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me, who has passed the CA seismic, whether the Ibc/cbc and asce7-10 reference books are required for the exam? I already have Hiners SDR book.

You'll probably want them.  Hiner's book will include most of the formulas from the CBC and ASCE7 that you'll need but there might be some additional charts from the books that you'll need (ex. the nailing schedule from the CBC, the design coefficients and factors for force-resisting systems table from the ASCE7, etc.)

Thx ptatohed. Was hoping I could avoid the additional cost but if it can mean the difference between passing and failing I guess it would be in my best interest as your described.

Asce7-10 is a must and 100% without it you will fail. I passed it but failed surveying and I'm from Louisiana. What surveying materials best for the exam ? What's so I need for the surveying exam to pass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The asce is online as PDF you can only print 4 chapters the ones you need. I didn't take the other references. Only the asce and my notes and the book I bought from Ibrahim

Asce7-10 is a must and 100% without it you will fail. I passed it but failed surveying and I'm from Louisiana. What surveying materials best for the exam ? What's so I need for the surveying exam to pass

I agree the ASCE7 is important but I hold that, with a good review guide (Ibrahim, Hiner) you can still pass so I wouldn't say 100%.  :p  

To answer your survey question, did you read this?  http://engineerboards.com/index.php?/topic/25246-everything-you-wanted-to-know-about-the-ca-surveyseismic-civil-pe-exams/  

People rave about Hiners but I found that it wasn't very helpful.  The EET seismic is a must have and i still use it in practice!  At the end of the day, they're all references to ASCE 7-10/CBC so you'd be better to know the code and use supplements as time enhancers.

Back