Oroville Dam - Anyone here design this?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Road Guy

Reaction score
http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/13/us/california-oroville-dam-spillway-failure/index.html

C4Pu7EPXUAcwPiV.jpg

Nope, but my friend's kids have had to be evacuated because of it... I really hope they can figure out a solution, and that somehow the rain in the forecast later this week doesn't hit there.

or I guess I should say "construct this"

But yeah I hope they get everyone out of there, that doesn't look like a good situation, I wonder if they can draw down the lake with some big ass pumps?

They are using the emergency spillway at the moment.  The story I read said that they didn't think it was going to cause any flooding, but there is going to be a ton of debris to clear out of the overflow reservoir after this is over.

the videos I just saw on CNN don't look very good for this whole area- looks Katrina like almost..

They are using the emergency spillway at the moment.  The story I read said that they didn't think it was going to cause any flooding, but there is going to be a ton of debris to clear out of the overflow reservoir after this is over.
I believe the emergency spillway is also having erosion problems...

My coworker told me that he read an article that, deep down in it, had an interesting tidbit of information: there were repairs done to the area of the main spillway that has collapsed. Hm...

I may have found the article. It mentions the same bit about the repairs, anyway, and references another article local to Sacramento: https://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2017/02/how-did-the-oroville-dam-get-so-bad/516429/

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it was designed by a certain stormwater engineer who used to post here.  Stormwater engineering is the most advanced engineering.  Very hard.  Only the best can do it.  And we're gonna make stormwater engineering great again, right here in EB.

Supposedly designed by the Army Corps and built by DWR.

The next few days should be interesting. Various agencies/engineers have been asked to help with round the clock monitoring. Pretty scary but pretty exciting stuff for a dirt nerd to be there and see it up close :)

Sent from my SURTAB-722-3G-HD-1S using Tapatalk

I think it was designed by a certain stormwater engineer who used to post here.  Stormwater engineering is the most advanced engineering.  Very hard.  Only the best can do it.  And we're gonna make stormwater engineering great again, right here in EB.
You're saying you wouldn't trust a guy who looks like this to design your dam?

tmckeonPE.jpg

Id imagine its probably a lack of maintenance issue than a design  / construction issue. If you look at those spillway photos is looks like there has been some sever erosion to the right of the spillway for some time

Back