Take PE this Spring or Wait

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lizardo5

Reaction score
I took the PE for my first time this Spring and I failed - about 50%. I decided to wait until this Spring to take it again and here I am in the same boat It's February and I haven't started studying. I have all the materials through EET. Last year I took a class at a college, and I didn't see it as being very helpful. I get no raise at work if I pass, no promotion - I'm about to get a promotion in a few weeks anyway... so I think my procrastination is due to lack of motivation. I want to eventually take the test for my own personal gain and if I do want to switch jobs in the future. I am batting through some personal issues right now and am wondering if at 2 months out, I should focus on the Fall exam instead. I'm not looking for answers of there will never be a good time, etc. I'm asking as in a numbers/practicality  - would it be wise to study as much as I can before April and try or go for the Fall. I think I'd basically be starting off fresh again since I waited to take it another year later. Thanks! 

If money is no option and it wouldn't bother if you did not pass this Spring, then go for it.  You have a chance at passing and, if not, the experience is always good.  If you don't want to spend the money on a "maybe", and since you are lacking some motivation at the moment, perhaps it's best to aim for Fall.  Get your head in the right place, make a commitment to yourself to pass in Fall, form a passing plan, and execute it.  You can do it. 

How much time are you able to devote to studying each week? Did you have certain areas that you struggled on during the test, or was it almost even across the board? The deciding factor is your own personal determination and motivation to pass the exam. If you believe you can pass it this Spring, I say go for it. 

you've taken it ponce, so you have an idea of what you're going into.  You also have an assessment of what you need to focus on from your last test.  Therefore, you are your best resource of whether or not you can improve those areas in time for the April exam.  Lastly, what is the deadline to register for the exam in your state?...as that alone might make your decision for you.

All the other factors you list are personal reasons for procrastinating.  Either give into the excuses and wait or go for it.

We can't answer our questions because it relates to your ability to improve on the specific areas that are flagged in your test report from the prior exam. 

If you're just looking for a pep talk then my vote is go for it and get it done.

I can't speak specifically for the civil exam, plus everybody learns differently, but if you're still undecided two months out then wait for the fall.  It took me 5 months of solid study for the April 2014 EE-Power PE.  That included actual studying, organizing material, working MULTIPLE sample tests and preparing a very thorough note sheet.  Prior to that 5 month period I lurked around this forum getting a good feel for which reference materials worked, etc.  I took the PE twice about 20 years ago and it was only after studying this most recent time that I realized that I was not motivated properly and had not studied well.  I was also thankful this time for the growth of the internet, and this forum, which helped immensely in my preparation.  I'm sure you're a smart person, and I'm not trying to be Debbie Downer, but I hate for anyone to  spend the money, not pass and get disillusioned.  Good luck whichever way you decide to go.  :thumbs:

Back