October 2017 Exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Doub

Reaction score
Will the Chemical PE exam be offered on the October 2017 Exam date? The last paper-pencil test is this April and the CBT, computer base testing starts 1 Jan 2018. I answered my own question, but can anyone confirm? Thank you.

http://ncees.org/engineering/pe/pe-chemical/  

I would say that there will be no Oct 2017 offering based on the above page.  I had heard rumors the chemical was going to be one of the first to convert.  Should be interesting.  Kind of sucks you have to log into a my ncees account to download the supplied reference manual though.  

I am curious about this as well.  I know the link above says it will be the last chance for the paper-pencil exam but on all the examination schedules I look it through NCEES and TBPE it shows that there will be a Chemical in October.

Anyone know the best way to get in touch with someone who may know the answer for this?  Thanks!

Update:  Just decided to call NCEES (should have done that in the first place, sorry!)  They will not be offering the Exam in October.

CBT to start January '18.

Next questions:  Anyone know if all the materials I purchased through PPI will be still be beneficial to prepare for the Chemical PE?  Don't want to waste the money on prep materials if they won't be worth it with the CBT Exam.  Thanks!

i guess that depends on how you define beneficial.  The topics aren't changing.  the way the questions are asked is really the only thing changing. so the info/material on the topics is the same, but a sample test isn't going to be indicative of how the questions will be asked.  but they would still make good practice problems.

Right that's what I was referring to ... the closed book format.

I guess it would be beneficial to use the current materials to review the topics and cross reference them to what is included in the NCEES Reference Booklet.  That way I could at least get familiar with the search function and where information is located.

Then use the problems and practice tests in the same way, utilize the NCEES Reference Booklet to solve the problems and evaluate my progress.  Thoughts on going about it that way?  I appreciate the help so far!  Looks like I'm going to be one of the guinea pigs for the first CBT Exam now.

being the guinea pig always sucks.  it sounds like a good plan.  I imagine a lot of the information need to solve the problem will be included in the problem state.  the reference guide looks to be the basic refresher information to give one an idea if they know what they are looking for.   I would start practicing on an 8.5x11 piece of white board or wipe sheets with marker too...as you wont get paper at the test site.

i wonder if they will follow the same results release timeframe as the CBT FE or if they will hold the results to line up with the paper tests?!  

That's a good question, I am assuming (hoping) that they will follow the results release timeline similar to that of the CBT FE.  I guess going in as the guinea pig I can provide some information once I go through it!

I am curious about this as well.  I know the link above says it will be the last chance for the paper-pencil exam but on all the examination schedules I look it through NCEES and TBPE it shows that there will be a Chemical in October.

Anyone know the best way to get in touch with someone who may know the answer for this?  Thanks!
TBPE said last week in their ethics webinar that there would not be an October exam for chemical.

Last edited by a moderator:
The PPI materials will be fine to study for the CBT exam, although new books are now available for pre-order. The current editions don't reference AIT (Alternative Item Type questions) which will be new question type for PE CBT starting in Jan. You can get a free tips guide for AIT questions here: https://ppi2pass.com/free-alternative-item-types-exam-tips.html

Also, you can sign up for the new PPI Learning Hub and study for free for the PE Chemical CBT here: https://ppi2pass.com/chemical-cbt-beta

There's a lot going on. Good luck to all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back