School of PE Power

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Limamike

Reaction score
Just wanted to bring to folks attention that SOPE got some pretty bad reviews in their power section. Not the program per se, but the instructor, who in my opinion was TERRIBLE. The name has been mentioned, so no need to rehash it.  That said, SOPE has rehashed its entire power class with new instructors, and have responded to the many student comments - good for them - it should have happened a long time ago!  

I won't necessarily complain about it. But the course was taught with an understanding that the students taking it worked with everything covered on a daily basis and had sufficient background knowledge before starting. It was almost a "Why don't you know this already?..." mentality. For the folks that have been out of college for awhile or not working with these components every day, the course would have been very difficult.

Regardless of background, you should be studying before you take School of PE. It's meant to reinforce concepts and run through practice examples. It is not designed to give you a background of theory and an idiot proof way of passing. You still have to work hard at it on your own.

If you're taking the April exam, you should have been preparing starting right after Christmas. If not, you still have time to buckle down and start really making progress before the School of PE live class starts reviewing.

As always, WORK PRACTICE PROBLEMS!!!! Good Luck!!!!

if a civil engineer with zero electrical background could pass it on the first try (while studying the wrong material) i have great expectations for anyone else who DOES have the electrical background

good luck. 

and PM me if you have any questions

I took the SOPE course last year and passed.  It was 6 weeks of HELL working fulltime and doing the course from 1900-2200 hrs 4 days per week.  It was time consuming and taxing.  I wish I had access to the material before the class began because the reading and homework assignments were quite severe but doable if you spent the time.  All that being said, I took the course with the hopes that it would plug any holes in my theory knowledge and problem solving.  I would spend all day at work then stay in my office doing homework and reading until class began.  Then after a few cups of coffee/mountain dew, finally driving home 16 hours after I got to work.  You know what?  It was worth it!  

If you take that course without already being somewhat prepared for the exam you will drown the first week.  I was probably 65%-75% prepared and it definitely sharpened my skills.

Back