recipe rut....looking for non-slow cooker ideas

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well shucks, I wrote out a nice long reply to this, but then the website went offline and my reply was lost... Oh well.

Here's the jist of what I wrote. These are all weekly go-to recipes for my boyfriend and myself.

Trader Joe's chili lime veggies burgers in whole wheat pita wraps with a sriracha mayo, tomato, avocado, red onion, greens (anything from microgreens to baby spinach will work), and a side of steamed veggies or a rice pilaf sort of thing.

Homemade pizza (we buy premade dough), like @knight1fox3 suggested! Use freshly sliced mozzarella. It's a game changer in gooey-ness of the mozzarella cheese!

Stir fried chicken/tofu and veggies (usually frozen veggies) over rice.

Veggie and protein pasta dish (using either ground beef or chicken sausage, usually).

An "everything but the kitchen sink" soup recipe involving broth, spices from my cabinet, tons of veggies that typically need to be used, protein (usually either ground turkey or chicken sausage), canned beans (any will work), and grated parmesan to serve. Serve with a side of a hearty, dippable bread. This is basically fully customizable to what you have and need to use up, and can freeze for future meals very well. It's also easy to make a large batch of to feed many mouths.

I am actually in the opposite situation, where I am looking for more slow cooker recipe ideas! Because I barely ever use it, but would like to employ it a little more.  :p

I am actually in the opposite situation, where I am looking for more slow cooker recipe ideas! Because I barely ever use it, but would like to employ it a little more.  :p
Where did that slow-cooker thread disappear to?

one favorite of ours is when we make BBQ (smoke a pork loin or something similar) is well take the shredded pork and make pork tacos, just get some corn shells, some red onion, dice some jalapenos and some BBQ sauce, and they are delicious!  easy way to  get rid of some BBQ lefotvers!  I think know we smoke pork just for the "after tacos"!

Steak and brussel sprouts:

Grill steak.  Then for the sprouts

I cut off the stems and cut them in half. In a skillet I cooked uncured natural bacon. Took the bacon out, threw in the Brussel spouts and some olive oil. Tossed. Cover and put on medium heat (4) occasionally stirring. Took off heat once cooked and let them sit for a minute. Added in chopped bacon. Dinner served!

Egg roll in a bowl

Ground pork fried with green onions, ginger and garlic. Threw in coleslaw mix and coconut aminos at the end. 10 mins.

seared salmon, avocado bacon salad, and cilantro lime cauliflower rice

Salmon: heat skillet on high with a few tablespoons oil. When hot lay salmon down meat side down (I sprinkled thyme and sea salt on it prior). After 2 min flip, turn heat on low and cover. Cook until flaky usually 8-10 min.

Salad: package salad, cut avocado and cut bacon, sprinkled with red wine vinegar and olive oil

Cauliflower rice: riced cauliflower. Heat pan medium high heat with avocado oil. Throw cauliflower rice and turn down to medium. Squeeze some lime and throw in cilantro to taste. Added a little sea salt.

These are recipes my wife posted on facebook that we ate last week.  My wife follows Auto Immune Protocol so....it's really healthy stuff.  

anyone have a good sushi rice recipe?  tried one i found online last night and it was way too salty.  

Love and totally recommend the sushezi for easy at home making of sushi rolls.

Da Kine Burgers, Cheeseburger tater tot casserole, Chicken and Dumplings, depends on if you are a seasonal cooker or not... it's been 85 degrees here lately so we aren't doing soups and stews but more salads, grilling and sandwich type meals right now.  Pork Ribs, chicken, steak, boston butt, ham, kabobs yada yada yada  

Last edited by a moderator:
Back