Demand and energy management/calculations

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nancy Ho

Reaction score
Hi, I took the Oct 2016 Power Pe exam and failed. I  still not understand well how to calculate Demand and energy management. Does anyone has documents or samples on how 

to calculate Demand and energy management?

I also weak at  Protection coordination. Where do I find more informations about Protection coordination?

Thank you so much. I feel so sad since I study so hard and still fail.

Are you talking about utility rates and calculations?  if so I can send you info if you message me your  email.

Hi KatyLied,

I am looking for materials to show how to calculate energy demand and rating.

Thanks

Hi KatyLied,

I am looking for materials to show how to calculate energy demand and rating.

Thanks
it has been 3 months but i do not remember ANYTHING related to what you say had trouble on.

are yountalking about NEC??

Hi, I took the Oct 2016 Power Pe exam and failed. I  still not understand well how to calculate Demand and energy management. Does anyone has documents or samples on how 

to calculate Demand and energy management?

I also weak at  Protection coordination. Where do I find more informations about Protection coordination?

Thank you so much. I feel so sad since I study so hard and still fail.
Send me a PM on protection coordination. I have The Art and Science of Protective Relaying by GE. I'll have to e-mail it to you (to large to post here).

I remember something being asked on that in the morning. I missed it at the time but found my notes for it in the afternoon.....    :brickwall:      :eek:ldman:   :suicide1:

Hi 

I am looking for material show how to calculate load demand when on peak, off peak, season....

Try this for starters.  if this is not thorough enough try Googling with the specific verbiage.  I work for an electric utility.  When you talk of peak, off peak calculations, etc. I think of rate calculations which involve base charge, peak demand charges (KVA or KW) and energy usage (KWh).  These calculations will vary depending on what type of rate info is provided and may also include a ratchet (demand charge based on peak usage over the previous 12 months).  As I mentioned, I have some info on these types of calculations.  For some reason I'm never able to post these on the forum but will be glad to send them to you if you forward me email address.

http://www.think-energy.net/KWvsKWH.htm

You can private message me your email address through the forum if you're concerned about privacy.  better yet I can message you mine.

I sure could use that demand and energy management information as I know I missed the question I was asked about it.  My email address is [email protected].  Any info any of you are willing to send will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Yeah, I still have yet to find any (much less good) representative practice problems for this subject area on the test. There aren't even any on the NCEES practice test. I don't know what else to do here. Any suggestions?

Yeah, I still have yet to find any (much less good) representative practice problems for this subject area on the test. There aren't even any on the NCEES practice test. I don't know what else to do here. Any suggestions?
Have I sent you that study info for demand and energy management?  If not I can email.  Not a lot of practice problems but I think it will give you a good foundation to solve problems.  Also, see the link below.

https://www.we-energies.com/business/elec/understand_demand_charges.pdf

I read earlier posts so I see where I sent you that info.   One more suggestion.  Click on link below..  There should be a link for rates.  Our public service commission requires us to make those public.  Click on this link.  Look at rates LPM, LPL, and LPME in particular.  The documents are somewhat written in legalese but if you work through the explained calculations using dummy numbers it should be helpful.  Focus on base, demand and energy cost calculations. it's pretty representative of the way most utilities calculate.  Just now thinking of this otherwise I would've told others in this thread earlier.  Hope it helps. 

http://www.alabamapower.com/business/rates-and-pricing/about-our-pricing.html

Back