Best web conference app?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dleg

Spammer Emeritus
Reaction score
I was wondering what recommendations people have for hosting conference calls with slides or screen sharing.  I have access to WebEx, but the problem I have is that there are always some people who can't get it to work on their machines.  Adobe connect seems to have the same problems, and like WebEx, you need access to a paid account if you want more than 2 people connected.

Are there any simple, free, on-line conference hosting programs that people recommend?  

I was wondering what recommendations people have for hosting conference calls with slides or screen sharing.  I have access to WebEx, but the problem I have is that there are always some people who can't get it to work on their machines.  Adobe connect seems to have the same problems, and like WebEx, you need access to a paid account if you want more than 2 people connected.

Are there any simple, free, on-line conference hosting programs that people recommend?  
We are phasing out WebEx due to the high cost and functionality issues you described.

GoToMeeting worked quite well when I was in grad school and needed to set up a brief meeting with a professor. Those who are familiar with Android and Google, Hangouts works pretty slick and integrates nicely across multiple device platforms (and it's free). That was actually more suitable to a school environment because with Google Docs, we could all be editing the same spreadsheet or Word doc all with video and and all while making comments too. In more of a corporate setting, Skype for Business works pretty flawlessly and obviously integrates well with other MS Office apps (e.g. you can add a Skype meeting link to your Outlook calendar invite for those attendees who are remote).

Currently using GoTo Meeting.  Screen sharing capability and the ability to switch who's controlling the display. 

We use Microsoft Lync because we're the Gov't and we aren't allowed to use, well, almost anything.  Lync seems to work pretty well though and you can do the screen sharing thing.  It's just there for us, but like a lot of other Microsoft stuff, I think you get it with some of the Office bundles.

whatever the AT&T program is, is what works for us...which i mean is one of the few that will download to the computer without needing admin permissions 

We use Microsoft Lync because we're the Gov't and we aren't allowed to use, well, almost anything.  Lync seems to work pretty well though and you can do the screen sharing thing.  It's just there for us, but like a lot of other Microsoft stuff, I think you get it with some of the Office bundles.
I'm guessing your I.T. group hasn't pushed any recent updates to your PCs lately. In Nov. 2015, Lync became Skype for Business when Microsoft acquired Skype. It actually added some nice functionality and also integrates well across different device platforms too.

x3 on go to meeting.

I use that for my teaching side gig.

I have my own personal GoToMeeting account that I use for work, also.  I find that GoToMeeting usually works better than Skype, but we use both. 

So you guys are paying for a personal account with GoTo meeting?

I have a feeling that I would technically be getting myself in trouble security-wise by going with a private solution like that.  I probably just need to find someone with access to a government Skype account.  I have learned since yesterday that some of my group members can't even do WebEx due to government agency firewalls, even though it's a government WebEx account.  This is bascially becoming an impossible task to accomplish across multiple government agencies and private non-profits. 

Essentially yes (though I was able to get a student GoToMeeting account). But it's definitely more on the personal/private/small business level in my opinion. I'm not sure what security measures are employed but my guess is it's minimal.  

Skype is much more geared towards the corporate enterprise level and has various levels of security and authentication. But that also comes at a price. But if the company is paying for it, cost is generally a non-issue. I'd reach out to some of your I.T. people (or equivalent) to see what resources the govt. already has (aside from WebEx).

I'm guessing your I.T. group hasn't pushed any recent updates to your PCs lately. In Nov. 2015, Lync became Skype for Business when Microsoft acquired Skype. It actually added some nice functionality and also integrates well across different device platforms too.
:rotflmao: Clearly you have not met the U.S> Gov't yet.  We finally got "upgraded" to Windows 7 since they're sure all the bugs were finally worked out.

I actually had to FAX something to the US Government today (their census construction data site was down)  - Had to 1) find it and then 2) plug it in..

I have a feeling that after all this hacking stuff gets processed, this will be what we get issued:

b64451865926e45dfc9d77b6cb1f6f82.jpg

^^ Most hams don't use those anymore.

This would be used today

twinkey.jpg

:bag:

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't stick it in there then. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back