Applying for Additional Exam in CA

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sersmay

Reaction score
Hey all my California buddies,

I (finally) passed the Civil exam for CA, and am planning to take the Traffic Engineering exam in October. This really applies to anyone who has taken multiple tests: structural, geotechnical, etc. When I apply to take the Traffic exam, I'm assuming I don't need to send in the take home ethics exam, a copy of my college transcripts, fingerprints (already did LiveScan last year). So, I would only send the Application for Licensure plus the reference forms. Looking for confirmation, thanks!

If you've already completed the Laws and Regulations exam (commonly referred to as the Take Home) for engineers, you do not need to submit it again for subsequent engineering disciplines.

If you've already completed the Laws and Regulations exam (commonly referred to as the Take Home) for engineers, you do not need to submit it again for subsequent engineering disciplines.

Incidentally, you are not "applying for an exam".  You are applying for licensure.

@CAPLS: This isn't urgent as I have no intention of applying for October 2017, but will be of eventual interest. Suppose I already have a P.E. license in California (Mechanical) and want to test for an additional P.E. in, for example, Fire Protection. A glance at my MyNCEES record shows me the attached screenshot. How would I proceed in that case when NCEES blocks registration for the exam? Also, as BPELSG already has my transcripts and take home exam, would I only need my application and references for my fire protection qualifying experience? What other materials, if any, would I need to submit? Thanks.

View attachment 9194
Good questions fireguy.  individuals seeking multiple licenses in states like California that license by discipline will encounter this.  NCEES is aware of this situation and is attempting to figure out a way to handle in the best way possible.  However, until that time, you will need to let BPELSG know when this occurs with your name and NCEES ID number so NCEES can be alerted to allow you to register.

Whether the transcripts are available and can be used again is more a matter of how long its been since you originally applied/supplied that material.  If older than 5-6 years, your file is most likely in archives and we would need to request retrieval.  Once you've taken the PE take home exam, you do not need to take it again (unless you failed it).  I would advise you to contact [email protected] with your question on the transcript.  He is the one that would be reviewing your application and the education and may be able to answer that question in the detail that you would need.

@CAPLS: I just emailed Mike and cc'd you regarding this. No rush, just planning ahead for next October.

EDIT: I just got off the phone with Mike. For the sake of our readers here, these were the highlights:

• Regarding the NCEES registration block, NCEES is working on correcting that, but do not yet have a fix. If this is still an issue when I go to register next summer for the October 2018  exam, then I'll need to contact BPELSG and/or NCEES to request permission to register (there does not appear to be an official form or procedure or anything of that sort);
  • As I've already submitted my transcripts to NCEES in preparation for a possible future council record, I do not need to resubmit any transcripts to BPELSG;
  • As I just submitted my LiveScan fingerprints last year, I won't need to do so again for an application submitted next year (I'm an Eagle Scout, so they can run my background all day long for all I care, it was more a matter of whether or not I needed to run that particular errand);
  • I won't need to resubmit my take home exam unless the exam changes between now and my future FPE application; and
  • I would only need to submit my 2-page application and my 4+ references (who may be licensed in any discipline of engineering), and enclose a statement of where my previously submitted material is located to explain why I did not include them with the application package.
Mike also mentioned that while there is no timeline established for this yet, fire protection is being considered for possible conversion to a CBT format.
Only thing I would add to this is that ALL of the national PE exams are slated to be converted to CBT at the rate of about 2-3 annually.  Chemical begins in 2018 and I believe another smaller one later in the year.  Civil is currently slated to be 4-5 years out at this point.

Only thing I would add to this is that ALL of the national PE exams are slated to be converted to CBT at the rate of about 2-3 annually.  Chemical begins in 2018 and I believe another smaller one later in the year.  Civil is currently slated to be 4-5 years out at this point.
Just curious, when the NCEES PE exams go CBT, does that mean closed book (reference manual provided but the examinee can not bring in any of his/her own references) or will they still be open book (as are the CBT Civil state exams)?  Thanks.  

Just curious, when the NCEES PE exams go CBT, does that mean closed book (reference manual provided but the examinee can not bring in any of his/her own references) or will they still be open book (as are the CBT Civil state exams)?  Thanks.  
That won't be known until NCEES announces it as each exam converts over.  However, indications are that all will go closed book.  But like I said, it really is TBD by NCEES.  I do know that having to create the searchable reference on the computer is a large part of the conversion process for NCEES.

I would think that if NCEES is going to provide a searchable reference database within the CBT program such that an examinee doesn't have to bring in backpacks, bookshelves, or wheelbarrows full of books, that's not necessarily a bad thing.
I see the ben's both ways.  Simplification would be nice (you basically only need to study/know well the one reference manual allowed during the exam) but I'd also feel "naked" without my own personal books and extensive notes.  

That won't be known until NCEES announces it as each exam converts over.  However, indications are that all will go closed book.  But like I said, it really is TBD by NCEES.  I do know that having to create the searchable reference on the computer is a large part of the conversion process for NCEES.
Interesting. I find that studying and bringing your own references helps to acquaint many of us better with the codes (that we're supposedly taking this exam over) to make sure we know how to use them properly, especially since many of the questions are a touch outside of our individual areas of expertise where we would not ordinarily be reviewing those codes for work. If a candidate can use a resource to find an answer to a question they do not know before searching, well isn't that basically what engineering is? 

Back