Application denied due to lack of experience?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nukem2k5

Reaction score
To anyone whose application was denied after they reviewed your supplemental experience record: what was the reapplication process?  Were you required to gain a set amount of time (e.g. min 1 year) of additional experience before reapplying? 

On a similar token, my neighbor failed the test 4 times now and, by default, has to gain an additional year of experience before reapplying.

I'm sure it's highly dependent on the state.  For instance when I applied to Montana I knew I was 3 weeks shy of my 4 years of experience, so I tried to include 2 years of construction experience as equivalent to 3 weeks of engineering experience.

The state board didn't accept it, but just told me via email to resend my experience sheet again in 3 weeks, I didn't have to fill out the rest of the application again.

It was about as painless as can be, but other states might not be as accommodating.

I agree with @smahurin's comment about it likely being highly dependent on the state.

A few years ago, my coworker was about a week short of the experience needed to be accepted to take the PE exam and state-specific seismic and surveying exams in CA. He had his application held for that exam period, and was just accepted to take it the following exam period. I do not believe he had to completely reapply, but he may have needed to send in his work experience again.

This will vary by state as they all control their own approval process.  Make sure you find out the exact reason for the rejection  (i.e. length of experience  vs. Experience record not demonstrating your understanding /advancement of engineering principles). If it's simply timing,  they may say wait x # of months and then resubmit experience.  If it's quality of experience you may need to we work your experience sheets or gain different types of experience where you have more responsibility.  The board should be willing to let you know exactly why your experience was not acceptable 

I have coworkers that had NYS reject portions of their experience; they were required to wait for the length of time they were rejected (2 months in one case, over a year in another) before they could reapply.

Back