The Running Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leggo PE

Straight Waffle-izer
Reaction score
Hello all! Are there any other runners around these parts? I didn't see an official running thread, so I figured I might start one.

Of any potential runners out there, do you run for fun, do any races, run outside/inside, etc.?

Personally, I like to run outdoors (thankfully, I live somewhere where I can run year-round, typically). I enjoy doing a few runs a week, and am trying to do one race every month this year. My first is this weekend, a 15k, though my favorite distance to run in races (not just on my own) is a half marathon. I also love Ragnar Races, both road and trail. I have absolutely no desire to ever run a full marathon.

We can also discuss running shoes and different gear, too. Right now, I'm running in (and loving) my Brooks PureCadence shoes. I also have the PureGrit for trails.

So feel free to join in! Whether you used to run, are a current runner, or are interested in getting started with running. Feel free to ask any questions, too.

Negative. I'd rather not have anyone pushing me around in a wheelchair when I'm older due to my knees being shot. I try to engage in more non-impact type outdoor activities. :thumbs:

I'm a recreational runner, but I'll never take it too seriously. I typically run 2-3 times a week and usually between 2-5 miles. I'm never going to run a marathon or even a half marathon, but I enjoy going out for 20-40 minute jogs in the morning. Like kf mentioned, I worry about my knees due to the running, as well as the football I played back when I was younger, so I've been wanting to transition to biking, but I'll wait to do that when I have space to actually store a bike. 

I'm a runner. I actually run every day.

I like to run outside in the summer but I usually run on the treadmill at home.

I typically run for 30 mins a day. Maybe a slow 5k but I like to get a 5% incline with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
A sometimes runner that dealt with plantar fasciitis for a while.  I've found a cure for it but really only run in the spring/summer any more.

I'm a recreational runner, but I'll never take it too seriously. I typically run 2-3 times a week and usually between 2-5 miles. I'm never going to run a marathon or even a half marathon, but I enjoy going out for 20-40 minute jogs in the morning. Like kf mentioned, I worry about my knees due to the running, as well as the football I played back when I was younger, so I've been wanting to transition to biking, but I'll wait to do that when I have space to actually store a bike. 
Biking is wonderful, too! I am a bike commuter, myself. Maybe one day will I get into real road biking, but that day is not now. Definitely easier on the joints, however.

I'm a runner. I actually run every day.

I like to run outside in the summer but I usually run on the treadmill at home.

I typically run for 30 mins a day. Maybe a slow 5k but I like to get a 5% incline with it.
That's impressive, running every day! A friend of mine has been running at least a mile every day for the last year at this point. I'm always super impressed that she makes it happen, and takes zero excuses. 

A sometimes runner that dealt with plantar fasciitis for a while.  I've found a cure for it but really only run in the spring/summer any more.
Glad you found a cure! I'd never really dealt with any injuries until last year. I was sidelined from many months of running when I'd switched running shoes which caused me to under-use some a few muscles in my calf and overcompensate in others (note to self: do not give myself more padding in shoes just because I think I need it!), and then again for a month later in the year when I fell for the first time ever on a run and got an acute sprain in my other ankle. That, thankfully, healed relatively quickly.

I used to run in HS and later started running 5Ks.  After son was born most of that stopped.  Now I run with the local hash once per month.  Used to be able to keep a decent pace, but not so much anymore.

I'm a recreational runner.   Last organized event was a 1/2 marathon back in Spring 2014.  Actually trained for the same race in 2013 but gave myself 3 stress fractures in my right heel only 5 days prior to the event.   After six weeks immobilized and three months of PT, I came back strong, trained, and pretty much hit my goal in 2014 (1:40 hrs).  

Since then, I haven't signed up for a race besides some 5k untimed fun runs (usually with my kids).  However, I'm involved with a local running group and run about 2-3 times a week at a 4-5 mile distance.    I'd like to do another half but haven't been able to commit myself to the time required to train for the higher distances.    I'm just happy that I can still average an ~8:30 pace on the weekly running group runs and keep up with people half my age. 

In regards to location; I'm in PA and run outdoors as much as I can (I hate the treadmill).   I actually enjoy the cold winter runs.  I find them much more enjoyable than the high temps and humidity of the summer.  

We can also discuss running shoes and different gear, too. Right now, I'm running in (and loving) my Brooks PureCadence shoes. I also have the PureGrit for trails.
I'm a big fan of Mizuno Wave Riders.   I have had about four pairs now.   I made the mistake on my last purchase and switched to Brooks Launch 3.0.   I hate them!   I get horrible blisters on the back of my heel and have to really be careful on how I lace them up and what type of socks I wear.   I'll be going back to Wave Riders once I get enough mileage on these Brooks to justify the cost I spent on them.  

I'd love to get into trail running.  There is a weekly meet close by on the Appalachian trail.  Unfortunately it is on a Sunday morning which conflicts with time with my family.  I've been wanting to try it out but think I should invest in a pair of good trail shoes first.  I don't want to end up injured over stupidity again. 

This asthmatic has run everything from a 5K to a marathon, though to say I ran the marathon is using that term very loosely. 
il_430xN.63730585.jpg

I'm a big fan of Mizuno Wave Riders.   I have had about four pairs now.   I made the mistake on my last purchase and switched to Brooks Launch 3.0.   I hate them!   I get horrible blisters on the back of my heel and have to really be careful on how I lace them up and what type of socks I wear.   I'll be going back to Wave Riders once I get enough mileage on these Brooks to justify the cost I spent on them.  

I'd love to get into trail running.  There is a weekly meet close by on the Appalachian trail.  Unfortunately it is on a Sunday morning which conflicts with time with my family.  I've been wanting to try it out but think I should invest in a pair of good trail shoes first.  I don't want to end up injured over stupidity again. 
Oh man, I changed from Saucony's to Mizuno somethings, ran in them for a while, then ran a 15k race in them, and gave myself a calf injury for misuse of muscles. It took me 4 months of PT to retrain my muscles to act the way they were supposed to act. Since then, I switched to my Brooks, which I love. No problems any more!

Used to be.  Need to start again.

I started with the couch-2-5k when I was in Afghanistan...what else was I going to do in the morning before work?  The plan was to run the 5k during the Flying Pig (big marathon here in Cincy) weekend once I got home, but I kept going a little further and a little further to the point that I switched my registration from the 5k to the 10k.  By the next Flying Pig, I was doing the half marathon.  I took a break that never really ended after I banged my knee up (see below).

For those talking about bad knees, there have been studies showing that running is actually goo for your knees...the activity helps stave off arthritis.  My knees were in great shape, and this is from a guy who was a hair over 300lb when he started.  The only reason I stopped is because I slipped on some ice while tubing and hurt my knee.  It took over a year to find an Ortho who would listen to me and did an MRI, instead of just telling me it was arthritis and giving me a cortisone shot.  MRI showed I had a split meniscus which has since been fixed.  Now I just have to get off my (once again) fat ass, dig up my old iPod with my C25k podcasts on it and get moving again.

This is me crossing at the finish and right after....

HM - Finish.jpgHM.jpeg

I run regularly but I am not what you would call a good runner.  I do the occasional 5k, but anything beyond that distance usually results in shin splints that take months to overcome.  I run typically 3 times per week, recently on the treadmill since I moved to the sub Arctic.  I used to run exclusively outdoors.  

The thing that used to keep me running was participating in my local Hash House Harriers "club" - running through trails and roads and then drinking beer afterwards with an extremely non-PC, dirty joke telling crowd.  That made running extremely fun, and the runs themselves could be very strenuous and long (up to an hour and a half, up mountains, cliffs, through streams, crawlign through thick brush, etc.)  I haven't really gotten into that in my new location yet, although they do exist (but they run a lot less here and drink a lot more).  So I run now mostly just to stay fit, keep weight off, and meet the physical fitness standards for my job.  

I don't like running indoors on a treadmill, but there's really not much alternative when it's below zero, at least in my opinion, and that lasts for at least 4 months.  But, since I started that, I have been able to ramp up my speed (up to about 9 minute miles) without suffering shin splints like I do on the road, so maybe it's a good thing.  Plus I can watch all the dirty comedians on Netflix that I can't watch on the big TV with the kids around.  I try to do the stationary bike on the days in between running, to burn more fat and increase my cardio capacity.

I've been running with Brooks Adrenaline GTS for well over a decade now, after having my stride analyzed at a serious running store.  I fit them with "superfeet" orthotic insoles and that has worked pretty well to compensate for my overpronation, which is probably a large factor in the shin splints problem.  I've tried a ton of different trail shoes, usually destroying 1 to 3 pairs a year, and there are no stand-outs in that category, as far as I am concerned.  

Back