Civil&Environmental or Environmental

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hari928

Reaction score
Hi,

I am PhD student in Environmental Engineering. My Bachelor's degree is in Biotechnology, with interest in Water and wastewater engineering, I did my masters in Environmental Engineering and pursuing PhD in the same field. 

Could anyone kindly suggest me whether I have to take PE exam in Civil & Environmental to work in this area or Can I write PE in Environmental only?

@hari928, with your education background,  the environmental pe might be easier. But the last I read, there are some states that don't recognize the environmental.  This is why I took the civil water resources even though I have a bs in environmental engineering. I needed to learn some of the morning topics,  but I did and passed the first time.  Taking a review class helped a lot.

If you want to work in California, then Civil PE.

I have BS in Env Engineering and Civil PE because in California, there is no Environmental PE.

You should check with individual requirements of the state you plan on working in to see if they have specific requirements.  In NJ, it does not matter what test you take, once you have a PE you are a professional engineer.  However, state laws usually prevent you from working on items that you don't have knowledge, background or experience in.  For example, I am in the Civil Engineering field and working to get my PE license this year.  Once I get my license, I can't just go and start designing and signing off on Electrical Engineering or Mechanical Engineering designs.  Physically I could, but once someone does research and see I have no knowledge in that area, I will get reported and end up loosing my license.  

Back