Engineer Boards
​ ​
 photo CHPE_AnimatedWebBanner_650x1202_zps5704d467.gif
leggo PE

PE Structural Depth Failure - Advice?

I took it back in Oct 2011 but my advice is simply not to overthink the problems.  Best example problems were the NCEES sample exam questions.  Never had the CERM, just the Goswami book.  Never been a big studier, just some logical reasoning and know where to find everything in the books.  Just keep a level head and I think you'll do fine.

• Like 1

Thanks, @wow! I do tend to be an overthinker sometimes. I'm taking the EET's course right now, which is helping me to realize that most problems are not trying to trick you, and that if you are able to understand the problem, you have a good chance of solving it.

Well, I have completed EET's breadth and depth classes! Though I'm not done with my studies.

These classes turned out to be much, much more of a commitment than my PPI class had been. Particularly the structural depth class, with what seemed like 12+ hours of recordings a week plus hundreds of practice problems. I took their simulated exam last weekend, and did well enough on the breadth section, but struggled a bit on the depth.

Whether it is good or not, the whole class did not do well on the depth exam, and I was about 1 question or so above the average. The instructors did mention to us after the fact that the exam we had been given was likely more complex overall than the PE exam will be, which is something I agree with based on some of the questions that were on this simulated exam. That being said, they were definitely excellent practice problems and have shown me what I need to focus on in my last days of studies before the exam next Friday.

The binders are excellent resources, and multiple times I have wished I had them at work with me (I have been keeping them at home due to their shear size). I plan to bring my CERM with me in addition to these binders, but hope to use these binders and the codes as my primary resources for the exam. The more familiar I make myself with these binders, the better.

This weekend, I'll be doing NCEES practice problems, and tabbing even more.

Next Friday's the day! I am feeling good. Plan to study until next Thursday, when all I want to do is go for a run, eat a good dinner, and get a good night's sleep!

• Like 1

I guess I never updated this, but I did indeed pass on my third try.

If anyone who failed is interested, there are some good bits of advice from people in this thread. Of course, feel free to post your own thread too.

• Like 1

On 12/20/2016 at 2:33 PM, Mangano said:

Take EET Structural Review and CONSOLIDATE YOUR RESOURCES.  I had my favorite sections of far too many books on my first attempt.  The EET binder was my go-to and then I double-checked my preferred references if time allowed.  

I went into the exam wishing that I had spent less time learning the concepts in such serious depth and more time on practice questions.  Having studied for this exam forever, I answered 30+ of the the morning questions without any references at all.  I'd imagine that you'll hit the same point on the next round!

@Mangano do you know where we can find practice PE civil with structural depth exams that will be similar to the NCEES exam? On the NCEES website there is only one civil PE with structural depth practice exam..

-thanks!