Job oversees

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homeworker

Reaction score
After countless job applications and interviews, I have finally got a job offer today. Unfortunately, it's in Germany and I don't know whether or not I should move over there. I got a position in Research and Development at hoecker-polytechnik but to be honest, I have never worked on any of the stuff they make/sell.

It feels extremely scary to move to another country, plus I'm not sure if I can do well in my job. Should I keep looking for jobs here or make the move? 

It's Europe. I'd move!

Ok... family and financial situation has something to do with it. I rent and have no family responsibility. I can pack up and go and have no real setback. If you get fired, then take 1-2 months to travel Europe then come back to search. It's really not that scary.

Unless you lied on your resume and interview, they know that you've never worked on any of their stuff or anything similar yet you fit what they are looking for and they gave you an offer. European companies don't recruit abroad lightly so I'd take the chance. You might not like the town they'll send you to but maybe there's a chance to go to their offices in other countries.

Only you know your personnel situation but don't let fear influence your decision. This is an awesome challenge and opportunity. But I'm bias. I'm addicted to traveling :)

Sent from my SURTAB-722-3G-HD-1S using Tapatalk

Id give Germany a shot.  Nice country, pay should be good. Benefits and vacations there put US to shame.

If you dont like it, come back in a few years with experience and language.

Thank you guys!! I think I was already leaning towards "yes" but now I definitely want to make the move! I'm so excited :)

Thank you guys!! I think I was already leaning towards "yes" but now I definitely want to make the move! I'm so excited :)
So did you go? How is it?

Looks like some new positions opened up through my job... I think I'm skipping town to Germany by end of year. 

I made the jump to work internationally (New Zealand) and brought a wife and 2 kids with me. 

It's the hardest thing I've had to do, but having gone through it I now realize it wasn't that hard. The most challenging aspect was the financial side. Everything else was just paperwork...

So did you go? How is it?

Looks like some new positions opened up through my job... I think I'm skipping town to Germany by end of year. 
I really like it so far! The hardest thing for me is the language for sure but everyone has been extremely nice so far. And YES you should come skipping over to Germany, it's amazing. 

Auf Wiedersehen! ;)  

Back