Civil Cut Scores.....47??? - Page 2 - OCT 2016 - Engineer Boards
Engineer Boards
Sign in to follow this  
Wisco_Civ_Struc

Civil Cut Scores.....47???

5 hours ago, ryno said:

Took construction first time.. passed. I did school of pe & didn't watch any football all fall :(. Took ncees practice test and scored a 55? Took mikes practice test and got a 58? Bombed the goswami test with like a 43/80. Test day was a long 8 hours but felt like it was the same difficulty as ncees practice test. I was prepared for the PM portion. probably was 27-30 in AM and about 30-33 PM.

Wild to think there's a 55% pass rate.

55% pass rate for 1st time test takers. When you look at the overall volume for construction the pass rate was 42%. Mike's practice test says the cut off is usually 56 or 57 which seems right to me. I got a 62/80 on the NCEES practice exam and felt similar about the actual test.

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 10:44 AM, TKG said:

I have heard and also always assumed that you have to get a passing rate on both Morning and afternoon sections. Its not based on overall score

For example a fail with a 60/80 with 35/40 in the morning and a 25/40 in the afternoon would not necessarily pass, but a 30//40 in the morning and 30/40 in the afternoon would pass.

I don't believe it's true. I didn't do well in the morning to the point I didn't want to bother coming back to the afternoon part, but I did. There were only 2 questions I don't feel comfortable with in the afternoon and I passes. I am 100% sure my morning was out of passing, way out, and I only made it due to getting pretty much everything right in the afternoon.

When I failed last time I had 54/80 with the majority right questions in the AM part. Civil Transportation.

5 minutes ago, InternetUser said:

I don't believe it's true. I didn't do well in the morning to the point I didn't want to bother coming back to the afternoon part, but I did. There were only 2 questions I don't feel comfortable with in the afternoon and I passes. I am 100% sure my morning was out of passing, way out, and I only made it due to getting pretty much everything right in the afternoon.

When I failed last time I had 54/80 with the majority right questions in the AM part. Civil Transportation.

This was exactly my situation.  I passed Civil Transportation, but I think I got 20ish/40 in the AM and 35+ in the PM

On 12/16/2016 at 8:48 AM, Piledriver said:

no way dude. had a friend fail trans w a 60/80 n i failed structures w a 50/80

i dont believe this at all. Your friend is a liar who is afraid to say what he really got.

I passed civil structural with 62/80, a friend of mine got 56/80 and passed. I have a feeling that was the cut off. Not sure if anyone got 55 and passed.

Susan replied

Dec 21, 11:08am
Congratulations on passing the exam. 

By policy, NCEES reports scores on a pass/fail basis. 

This is an exam where you are compared against a minimum standard – not other engineers. The questions/exams are not designed to rank order the examinees, so a passing “score” doesn’t mean anything – other than you passed.

Examinees who passed the exam do not receive diagnostic reports. The purpose of the diagnostic report is to provide feedback about the failing examinee’s exam results and to help focus the examinee in preparation for retaking the exam. 

A passing score on an NCEES exam is the number of correct answers or points required to indicate a knowledge level necessary to meet a minimum performance standard for a discipline. Each problem in the exam equals one raw point. An examinee’s exam score is the total number of problems that an examinee answered correctly on the exam. In order to pass the exam, the examinee’s exam score needs to meet or exceed the examination passing score. 

NCEES does not release the passing score for each exam administration, because the passing score for each exam varies depending on the difficulty of the exam. To avoid confusion, we do not release the passing score requirement for any particular exam.

--
Susan Cline
help@ncees.org

40 minutes ago, lmtran4 said:

I passed civil structural with 62/80, a friend of mine got 56/80 and passed. I have a feeling that was the cut off. Not sure if anyone got 55 and passed.

I'm just curious- How do you know your score?

Texas provides only percentile. 75(%) does not necessarily mean that 60/80.

58 minutes ago, lmtran4 said:

Woohoo! Backup verification to my theory! See first page.

@joy21, I don't know my score. I based it off of percentage. So it could be off by 1 or 2 depending on how many problems were thrown out.