Civil Cut Scores.....47???

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
From the information I have gathered in my circle of friends and in the topics of these OCT 2016, it leads me to conclude that 48 was the cut score for both Civil Structural and Civil Transportation!!! Can this be true? It seems really low to me. I know the Texas PE exam takers can help us with this information. 

I'm really curious about the structural score as well. I felt like the morning was really challenging and afternoon significantly easier. Was that the general consensus among everyone else who took civil structural?

I'm curious what the passing score for civil-construction was.  Only 55% pass rate.
I think that is fairly standard.  Others may still have the historic pass rates to prove me wrong but it seems like the str/trans/wre/geo fluctuate between 65-70% and the construction fluctuates between 55-60.  I have no idea if this is true, but I suspect part of the lower score is due to misinformation.  I would assume all the civil pe exams are of relatively equal difficulty BUT there seem to be a lot of people who assume the construction is "easier".  I would guess the construction PE exam gets more applicants who don't do that type of work than the others as its either a catch all or they mistaken think it'll be easier than the exam in their field and so they chose an exam they are potentially less prepared for.

I thought the morning was easy and struggled in the afternoon structural a bit.  I had 14 questions I had skipped over and went back to try and answer. My score was 50/80 and didn't pass. There's no way the passing score was 47/80. 

I think that is fairly standard.  Others may still have the historic pass rates to prove me wrong but it seems like the str/trans/wre/geo fluctuate between 65-70% and the construction fluctuates between 55-60.  I have no idea if this is true, but I suspect part of the lower score is due to misinformation.  I would assume all the civil pe exams are of relatively equal difficulty BUT there seem to be a lot of people who assume the construction is "easier".  I would guess the construction PE exam gets more applicants who don't do that type of work than the others as its either a catch all or they mistaken think it'll be easier than the exam in their field and so they chose an exam they are potentially less prepared for.
Yeah I suppose that makes sense.

60/80?!? ****
I have heard and also always assumed that you have to get a passing rate on both Morning and afternoon sections. Its not based on overall score

For example a fail with a 60/80 with 35/40 in the morning and a 25/40 in the afternoon would not necessarily pass, but a 30//40 in the morning and 30/40 in the afternoon would pass.

I have been talking with a coworker and some of his friends who also took it, and we have not found anyone who failed civil structural with a score of 56 or higher. I personally think 56 may be the cut score, but am not sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went back through my exam for both the morning and afternoon and I felt like I got 33/40 on the morning for sure and 29/40 in the afternoon and I passed. I will never know how I actually did though!

I truly think you got some points in the argument. Usually people got a wrong image about construction that it is straightforward and about something one can touch and feel about. Which leads to a totally wrong judgement about the difficulty level. 

I thought the morning was easy and struggled in the afternoon structural a bit.  I had 14 questions I had skipped over and went back to try and answer. My score was 50/80 and didn't pass. There's no way the passing score was 47/80. 
For morning, I simply skipped all WRE questions to very end for simply blind guess. Not sure about those 7 WREs, but other problems are pretty smooth for me. I talked to a guy sitting around who takes construction but originally from geotech, he finds transportation about verti.horiz. curves difficult. 

PM is bit trouble, I flies in from abroad. And time zone difference hit me hard, there were 4-5questions I used about 10+min and 2-3 of them I even can't figure out. My brain runs extremely slow from hour 1-3. So in general, just a fair performance. 

I guess those blind guesses in the morning must had some miracles helping me get a green PASS.

60/80? That's really wild. 

Could you post your diagnosis for us?
That was not me, it was a friend of mine who took the exam in April.  I took structures and failed with 50/80

We are all making each other crazy... someone above mentioned you have to pass both the AM and PM?  I have heard completely the opposite, I was told try and get 38/39 correct in the AM so you only need around 20 in the PM to pass.

Back