The wait until licensure

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scynot

Reaction score
So for everyone who took the exam early, I'm curious how long everyone will be waiting for until they have the experience requirement to apply for the licence? Luckily I'll be able to apply in February! :waiting:

It varies from state to state. Some states, (Pennsylvania?) liscensure is automatic after passing. Many states, like Maryland, you have to fill out another (very short) form and pay a fee to get officially licensed. But in some states, the wait can take months!

CA just changed this for the next cycle so that you can take the PE exam early, but only for said national PE exam (civil PE takers here also have to pass two additional state specific exams in seismic design and surveying). Here, you have to have one year of work experience with a master's degree or two years of work experience with an undergraduate degree.

Last edited by a moderator:
I suppose it's not so common elsewhere, but most people in my organization will go take the test early in another state (CA, IL, SC etc) since we live in a 4yr experience state. In which case you'll be able to send in your application of reciprocity on the exact day you get your 4yrs experience.

Back