New PE Now more responsabilities!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlospe

Reaction score
Now that I've passed the Power PE there are more responsabilities.  As engineers in the consulting engineering world we are the face of the company to the clients and now we have to make decisions, handle entire projects and make recommendations.  How do do we handle this change and not stress out too much with the new responsabilities?  How other engineers have handled this? How long does it takes after I can start to get confortable in this new role?  Any input is appreciated!

My advice would be: even though you're a PE now, if you don't know the answer - ask. Find a senior engineer you can ask questions and keep working to learn!

Just because you passed a test doesn't mean you magically know everything now. As TWJ wrote, find a good mentor (in or out of your company) and never stop learning. Be confident in your opinion while understanding it depends on your education/research, knowledge and experience. There may be more effective or efficient approaches for certain situations. Every mistake can be used as a lesson if you allow it the proper respect.

My boss has 30 years of PE experience and still has me check plans before he signs and seals. I would never sign a complicated plan without some form of peer review.

Now that I've passed the Power PE there are more responsabilities.  As engineers in the consulting engineering world we are the face of the company to the clients and now we have to make decisions, handle entire projects and make recommendations.  How do do we handle this change and not stress out too much with the new responsabilities?  How other engineers have handled this? How long does it takes after I can start to get confortable in this new role?  Any input is appreciated!
I would first recommend spelling "responsibilities" correctly.

This is just one exam at one point in time...I believe that all this exam does is establish 'Minimum' capability...I would probably not pass this exam next year if I don't study for it and go take the exam cold...what does that tell me? That the only thing the little knowledge we gained to pass the exam tells us is that we still have a LOT more to learn...and like someone above said, getting a PE has made me more modest and aware of my own flaws, and I wish there is never a time when I feel too proud to say "I don't know" to something...

Sort of in the vien of others responses, I wouldn't view yourself any differently today, then you did yesterday before you found out your exam results.  While its a great thing to have passed the exam, and now be a "PE", in reality the only additional item your license grants is the ability to now be sued.

What others are saying, if you arent doing the facetime today, just becuase you have the PE doesnt mean you'll be doing it tomorrow.  Matter of fact, i work at one of the largest A/E firms in the country and lots of the Capture Managers don't even have a PE.  They are good with people/clients.  That is what matters.  You can always hire a desk jockey to "do the work".  If you have a PE AND a great personality, you can pave your own way.

Back