Can't keep me down---need help

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TME600

Engineering it
Reaction score
I didn't pass this time around.....it was honestly one of the most gut wrenching feelings I've experienced in my life. But after the negative emotions I realized that won't get me anywhere I need to pick myself up and prepare hard for the next session. 

I'm planning on taking WRE again....what resources do you recommend? I'm leaning towards EET (on demand is there a benefit to taking the live sessions?) I didn't have Metcalf & Eddy Wastewater first time around, is it a must? anywhere I can buy a used version?

I need all the advice I can get. I'm planning on starting again very very soon. 

I didn't pass this time around.....it was honestly one of the most gut wrenching feelings I've experienced in my life. But after the negative emotions I realized that won't get me anywhere I need to pick myself up and prepare hard for the next session. 

I'm planning on taking WRE again....what resources do you recommend? I'm leaning towards EET (on demand is there a benefit to taking the live sessions?) I didn't have Metcalf & Eddy Wastewater first time around, is it a must? anywhere I can buy a used version?

Have you received your diagnostic report yet and if so, what does it say? Maybe post those results and some of us who have taken it before or struggled with the sheer amount of studying (like yours truly) can give you some good advice.

Have you received your diagnostic report yet and if so, what does it say? Maybe post those results and some of us who have taken it before or struggled with the sheer amount of studying (like yours truly) can give you some good advice.
yes I did get the diagnostic report. Wastewater collection and water quality were horrible for me. I know it's my depth but I don't really deal with these items. I also could do better on structural

I'm still waiting on results, but if I don't pass I know it won't be because of the afternoon portion.  I took EET for the WRE portion and the afternoon was a breeze.  I do almost nothing with wastewater or treatment at my job also.  I felt very confident on 35-37 of 40.  If I end up failing because of the depth I'll come back and take all this back.

Bring Metcalf and Eddy next time if you had time to flip through and look stuff up.  I didn't even read the book, but was able to look up information regarding treatment and it saved me on a couple of conceptual problems.  I bought my copy on Amazon.

The binder from EET and Metcalf and Eddy I think were the only things I used on the afternoon portion.  Maybe the CERM to double check a few things.

For me the on demand fits better into my schedule (single parent, work travel etc), but I lack the discipline to watch the lectures consistently. I need a swift kick in the butt regularly to not slack off.

The live webinar is taxing. It's all day.  and I mean all day. You will feel drained afterwords. However it keeps you on track and drags you along. Nazrul ( WRE for EET) is great and knows his stuff. He is easy to talk to and responds to questions promptly. 

good luck!!

First I recommend beer.  Then a new plan.  Do the class and make a realistic schedule.   Allow for some down time.   U can do it. 

I took the EET course and needed to binders for each exam to pass. I took transportation so your mileage may vary. The course is very good and tries not to bog you down with excessive theory. If you do on demand like I did, make you make a schedule and stick to it. I took 3 months to study and was exhausted by the end.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, TME600 said: yes I did get the diagnostic report. Wastewater collection and water quality were horrible for me. I know it's my depth but I don't really deal with these items. I also could do better on structural
How did the morning go for you
Morning was decent aside from structural and construction (now they call it means and methods)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, TME600 said: I didn't pass this time around.....it was honestly one of the most gut wrenching feelings I've experienced in my life. But after the negative emotions I realized that won't get me anywhere I need to pick myself up and prepare hard for the next session.  I'm planning on taking WRE again....what resources do you recommend? I'm leaning towards EET (on demand is there a benefit to taking the live sessions?) I didn't have Metcalf & Eddy Wastewater first time around, is it a must? anywhere I can buy a used version?

First I recommend beer.  Then a new plan.  Do the class and make a realistic schedule.   Allow for some down time.   U can do it. 
Thank you. Definitely using a new strategy and dedicating more time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My advice, enjoy the holidays (life is short, seriously), then after that hit those books and kick that test in the privates.

I passed this time around. This was my third time taking the exam. I took the EET review course. I highly recommend it.

@TME600, your situation and experience sounds a lot like mine. I took WRE because of my background in stormwater, but I had no experience in wastewater collection, water treatment and water quality which made up a significant portion of the WRE depth. Even in realizing this, I didn't really put time in studying or doing practice problems in wastewater, water treatment, or water quality, nor did I have a structured study plan. Instead I thought spending my preparation time by doing random practice problems in the subject areas in the morning and stormwater in the afternoon would be sufficient enough to make up for my deficiencies in the other areas and probably (barely) get me by. Needless to say, I failed the first time I took the exam and diagnostics showed I performed almost as expected in all subject areas, with the exception of soils and structures which I under-performed and probably was the difference in me passing and failing. 

So the second time I prepared for the exam, I elected again not to do a review course and instead just develop my own structured study plan and stuck to it for the most part. I wouldn't discourage anyone from doing a review course or necessarily recommend one, but what think you need to have regardless is a focused and structured study plan which many of the review courses provide you. However, if you elected not to do a review course, I think you would okay as long as you've identified the subject areas you're deficient in and spend time reinforcing your knowledge or in my case, actually learning the content for the first time. And my study plan primarily consisted of me spending days at a time in specific subject areas, primarily working through problems (untimed) and reading information from my resources as I came across problems I wasn't as familiar. And once a week, I would spend about 2-3 hours doing timed practice problems.

Also, I didn't have any wastewater or water treatment specific references the first time I took the exam. However, right after I signed up to take the exam the 2nd time, I purchased 3 reference books I thought were pretty helpful. 1) Water & Wastewater Calculations Manual by Shun Dar Lin, Water & Wastewater Engineering - Design Principles and Practice by Mackenzie Davis, and a dictionary of Civil, Water Resources & Environmental Engineering by Harry Friebel. I also found a lot of useful formula sheets for wastewater and water treatment online and added to my "go-to-binder". I think a combination of this and the focused studying paid off because I passed the 2nd time and actually felt pretty confident leaving the exam that I had passed. 

But you seem to have the right attitude and I think you'll do fine on the retake. I'm more than happy to answer any specific questions you may have with my overall preparation.

I am also Civil-WRE. I took School of PE and i thought it was really good. EXCEPT for the Environmental teacher. He was just the worst and his notes were confusing as hell. I got a copy of the Lindenburg Water Resources/Environmental reference to supplement how awful he was. Also like the guy above me said. I really liked the Harry Friebel dictionary, def helped me answer verbal questions in afternoon portion of the exam.

As for School of PE. I did on demand because i wanted to make my own schedule. They gave me access to the previous semesters videos so i started studying on June 20th, the moment i got my approval letter. Then 3 hours a day, almost everyday, def took time off for enjoying myself. But put most stuff on hold for this test. 

I passed on my first try this time around Oct 2016. 

I would recommend School of PE. I also took the Civil-WRE and did the on-demand class because I wanted to make my own schedule. First time I took the exam I didn't follow my planned schedule of about 3 hours a day, and I ended up rushing to cover the topics plus I didn't have sufficient time left to work all the workshop problems provided by school of PE. As expected I failed, got 68% with 49 questions correct (the reason I know the % is because the Texas board gives a grade whether you pass or fail). Since School of PE offers a free repeat class for failing candidates, I went ahead and took the class again to prepare for the October 2016 exam. First thing,  I made conclusions on how I wanted to organize my notes based on my previous performance on the test. Before starting with the class again, I re-printed all the notes and made new binders. For the morning session I divided all my notes in two binders, in my opinion one binder with all the notes is way too big and hard to manipulate which makes it difficult to find information. Size of afternoon notes was decent so I have all those notes in one binder. I put tabs and dividers on all binders so I could easily access the information while studying and also thinking about efficiency for exam day. I started the School of PE review course again, but this time I did stay on the planned schedule (about 3 hours a day), If I couldn't hit the 3 hour mark in one particular day, I found time to make up hours lost. I studied for about three months and following the schedule paid off. I covered all topics without rushing and I had plenty of time to work all workshop problems (twice). I also have time to work two practice tests, which I split in four hour intervals (1 from civil engineering academy and the one from NCEES) . Four hours on both Saturday and Sunday during two weekends. I know it sounds like a lot but if you follow the schedule, you will find that you even have time to do other things besides studying for the exam. Think about it, if you start studying by 8:00 AM on a Saturday by noon you are done and you have the rest of the day to do whatever you want. Only recommendation, keep alcohol intake to a minimum because you will have a hard time waking up in the morning to start your Sunday Session. For weekdays I did 1 hour before work, and 2 hours after work. Every now and then I had 10 minute lunch and took the rest of my lunch hour to study, that way I only needed to do 1 hour after work. Notes from School of PE are helpful for the exam and the workshop problems are very similar in difficulty to the actual exam. Don't underestimate theoretical questions, there will be a lot specially in the morning session. If you take the time to read some theory and know where to look for it during the exam, the theory questions won't be that hard and you will be glad to see how quickly you go through those. Besides notes from school of PE, I would definitely bring the CERM  for the morning/afternoon and Metcalf and Eddy for the afternoon. I probably got answers for about 3 or 4 questions in treatment straight from Metcalf and Eddy. When you do the math, those 3 or 4 questions you easily get in 2 or 3 minutes do make the difference. After the hard work, I passed. Obviously I don't know how many questions I got correct but my score was 80%. As I said earlier, Texas board gives you a % grade even if you pass. No matter what you decide regarding the review course, make sure you follow your schedule and work plenty of problems.       

I am sorry to hear you did not pass this time around. I took the exam this past April and flunked it, it was hard to accept the results and know that I had to go through the entire process again, but I took a good look in the mirror and told myself that I COULD and WOULD work harder the next time. I signed up for the EET course and studied hard for about 3.5 months (about 450 hours). I emailed the EET instructors with questions I had, I sought out as many practice problems and exams I could find, and I picked the brains of everyone here on the board. I received the result Friday that I passed the exam and it was one of the best feelings I have ever experienced. I highly recommend taking the EET course, the instructors are top notch and know exactly what you need to know for the exam, however, the course by itself will not make you pass, you need to put in the hours outside of the class reviewing what you went over in that weeks lecture. Enjoy the holidays and time with loved ones and starting the new year let that "fail" notice piss you off and fire you up to work hard!!!!! good luck!!

Back