I failed October 2016 Power PE - please assist - Power Exam Sub Forum - Engineer Boards
Engineer Boards
Sign in to follow this  
Owism

I failed October 2016 Power PE - please assist

Hello everyone,

First and foremost I'd like to thank everyone for the rollercoaster ride while waiting for the exam results. 

Please list what reference books you used during the exam.  I heard "least is best" so I limited myself to a few instead of flipping through too many books:

1. Power Reference Manual - Camara
  2. NEC 2014
  3. Spin UP practice exams - practiced 2 of these exams... passed both with 75%.
  4. NEC Practice exam
  5. School of PE notes and Solutions
  6. Graffeo book - I referenced this one the most in the exam but never beforehand

I know there are multiple threads everywhere on this but I figure someone has already seen that, so I'll just ask you to list the link here.

Thanks for your assistance.

MY background : Im not a practicing power engineer, but I do have an electrical engineering education (small circuits). This was the first time I was exposed to Transmission, Generators, and majority of the items on the exam. I took the School PE course and it taught me alot. I figure I need to practice more how "per units" work and get the NESC book.  Any advice of yours is appreciated. My diagnostic is attached but I have no idea what to make of it. The topics are so generalized I dont know which problems to practice for each to get better. Any thoughts are welcome

Thanks

diagnostic.JPG

as a non electrical engineer who passed the first try, I could provide tips that would help immensely

as a non electrical engineer who passed the first try, I could provide tips that would help immensely

I failed my first try and was expecting the outcome due to my performance in the exam. Any tips would be helpful to pass on the second try. Thanks in advance @Phatso86

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 12/9/2016 at 10:54 PM, Phatso86 said:

Please do share with group or PM me.

Hi,

I recently passed the Oct 2016 exam on my third attempt.

I used roughly the same references you did, BUT I will emphasize that you should read the Graffeo book front to back and tab it. I didn't the first time and realized it had a lot of valuable information....if you know where to find it. The index isn't too helpful.

Also, did you have the NEC handbook? If not, get one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 12/9/2016 at 9:54 PM, Phatso86 said:

This is terrifying.

• Like 6

On 12/12/2016 at 0:22 AM, cupojoe PE PMP said:

This is terrifying.

hater.jpg

On 12/12/2016 at 0:22 AM, cupojoe PE PMP said: This is terrifying.

hater.jpg

1a3ec965c445310bd7a4d86eb799aac7.jpg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, cupojoe PE PMP said:

apcjf.jpg

the jealousy is hilarious and pathetic all at once. :tv:

6 hours ago, Ken PE 3.0 said:

1a3ec965c445310bd7a4d86eb799aac7.jpg

6 hours ago, Phatso86 said:

Let me see if I understand your test taking abilities.

1) Ask "simple" questions, then argue with everyone who takes the time to give you an answer.

2) Take exam.

3) Whine and complain about how awful the exam was due to the nature of the exam you took being theoretical.

4) Manage a passing score outside of your knowledge base.

5) Boast on EB.

6) Offer to assist others who want to take the exam.

Yeah, I see lots to be jealous about in that list.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Owism said:

ok im not benefiting from this... 

Not having the education/experience with transmission lines makes this test a lot more difficult.

It looks like the books you took to the exam did not include anything that is directly related to T&D.

You might want to find a used textbook on power systems and try to work your way through it.

33 minutes ago, Owism said:

ok im not benefiting from this... 

That is one of them. Widi's book seemed to me to be easier to read and better for the test, but that is subject to debate. Both obviously covers more bases.

I went with the "more is better" mentality.

If you have something that covers 3 phase transmission topics, your confidence level will imporve.

I would say Grainger and Wildi are complimentary. They cover similar power topics in different ways. Grainger has a lot more theory and "engineering school" type instruction. Wildi is more applied. I would recommend getting both for this exam.

31 minutes ago, cupojoe PE PMP said:

I would say Grainger and Wildi are complimentary. They cover similar power topics in different ways. Grainger has a lot more theory and "engineering school" type instruction. Wildi is more applied. I would recommend getting both for this exam.

Would you please let me know exactly which Grainger and Wildi books to get?  I tried searching on Amazon and both came up multiple.  I am not sure which one to get.  I just found out I failed again and this time the score was even lower than before.  I've been out of school for about 25 years; never worked for a power industry, but only attempting to take the PE, because I'm now working for a company that gives incentive to PE.  I wanted to take electronics, but found that there are not much study material so I opted for power instead.  It seems like the more I try, the more failure I feel :-(

5 minutes ago, OldenEngineer said:

Would you please let me know exactly which Grainger and Wildi books to get?  I tried searching on Amazon and both came up multiple.  I am not sure which one to get.  I just found out I failed again and this time the score was even lower than before.  I've been out of school for about 25 years; never worked for a power industry, but only attempting to take the PE, because I'm now working for a company that gives incentive to PE.  I wanted to take electronics, but found that there are not much study material so I opted for power instead.  It seems like the more I try, the more failure I feel :-(

I can't help with which books to get, but I can on advice. Being that you are not fresh out of school, have you looked into review courses? Maybe finding a study partner?

• Like 1

Just now, SNAPE/SMOTT PE said:

I can't help with which books to get, but I can on advice. Being that you are not fresh out of school, have you looked into review courses? Maybe finding a study partner?

I took the GA Tech online course before my 2nd try and I was able to gain some more points.  This past Fall PE power exam had a lot of things that I had not seen before. 

10 minutes ago, OldenEngineer said:

The information in this link still applies:  

As for the books, I found the 2nd edition of the PSA book to be more helpful than the 3rd. The Wildi book is also very good. The link I provided is the revision I used but I believe there is a newer one. Elec Machinery and Pwr Sys Fundamentals by Stephen Chapman is another good one.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, knight1fox3 said:

The information in this link still applies:  

As for the books, I found the 2nd edition of the PSA book to be more helpful than the 3rd. The Wildi book is also very good. The link I provided is the revision I used but I believe there is a newer one. Elec Machinery and Pwr Sys Fundamentals by Stephen Chapman is another good one.

Thanks Knight! 

• Like 1

I just received pass confirmation on 1st try after many years out of school. Your reference is good enough, no need more. You may need create a cheating sheet, not only formulas, but also hint for solving different type problem, for instance, "transmission and distribution" subject you get the lowest score, after read all your reference book and problem practicing, you shall categorize how many type problem in this subject. You may need strengthen the skills on summarizing and comprising. Meanwhile, taking advantage of the forum, post your question, there are a lot of helpful people here! 

Once again, sincerely appreciate the forum and those responded my questions, you are really nice! 

NCEES exam answer link.xlsx

• Like 1

1. I barely (if ever) used the Camara book for studying, but absolutely abused it during the practice and live exams.
  2. I also recommend the Complex Imaginary exam books. I didn't have time to use the NEC code drill book and passed all the same, but I've heard good things about it.
  3. You'll definitely want a copy of the NESC. It'll turn a couple of questions into easy layups.
  4. Track down a good circuits textbook, a good power systems textbook, and a good machinery (motors and generators) textbooks. I brought the 7th edition of Electric Circuits by Nilsson and Riedel, the 4th edition of Power Systems Analysis and Design by Glover, Sarma, and Overbye, and Electrical Machines, Drives and Power Systems by Wildi. I don't know if they're the best or if the newer editions are more helpful, but that's what I had.
  5. Be familiar with your resources. Tabs are definitely your friends! Apply liberally. I tabbed any practice exam questions that I had trouble with and cited where to find the correct way to solve the problem and brought the practice exams with me. For the NEC, I used these tabs and added my own.
  6. Speaking of the NEC, try using the applicable NEC Handbook as opposed to the NEC Codebook.
  7. @AAGR2013 pretty much covered the rest

Keep your head up! You'll get there. This forum was a huge help to me and I'm sure you'll find the same to be true for you.