Passed in NY...But Now What?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregoryPE

Reaction score
 Here is what NY Says:

• When the results of the NCEES examinations (PE) have been validated, NCEES will send an email informing you that your result can be accessed through your My NCEES account.
  • Results of the New York State Specific Land Surveying examination will be mailed directly to each candidate.
  • After receiving a passing result, it will take approximately 4 to 5 weeks after the Education Department has recieved your results, for a status review of your licensure application file. If you meet all requirements for licensure, you will be granted a license as soon as possible.  After 3 to 5 weeks you may check our website at www.op.nysed.gov/opsearches.htm to see if a license has been issued. If no license is reported on the website, it may mean that your results have not yet been entered; check again in a few days. Your cooperation in using our website is appreciated.
What is a "status review" and what is the meaning of "if you meet all requirements for licensure..."?! Haven't they already confirmed we meet all requirements just by allowing us to take the exam? I didn't realize we had to start ANOTHER waiting game. Their timeline also makes zero sense to me. Somehow it will take a minimum of 4 weeks for the status review, yet we should start checking the website at a minimum of 3 weeks.

I know this topic has been discussed before, but when are you all going to put the PE on your email? Will you wait until a full license number?

I believe you need to wait for a license number. At this point all you did was pass a test but not yet licensed. I believe if you put PE on your name prior to a license number it is false identification.

Hey Greg, Congrats. I also just passed in NY. In the experience of friends and colleagues. NY just takes a couple weeks to issue your license after they get the pass result. I'm going to assume this is just laziness on their part. I will wait for my name to show up on the website before using PE in emails. 

In the air force when you had been selection for promotion to the next rank but not yet promoted, some people would put their new rank with (s) behind it for "select". Just do that. 

Merp, PE (s) :party-smiley-048:

I believe you need to wait for a license number. At this point all you did was pass a test but not yet licensed. I believe if you put PE on your name prior to a license number it is false identification.
Yep. Don't do something stupid now that the hard part is out of the way. Print your new business cards, etc... but don't call yourself a PE until you get your number. If for some reason somebody reported you it may be grounds for being banned.

Back