Weld Symbol Question

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's just a 2 sided groove weld (CJP) that is ground flush.

The joint is most likely a B-U3-GF.

The one side is a square groove weld, but I'm not sure about the other side.  It's not a v or flare v weld.  I haven't seen that exact symbol before.

Its an incorrectly detailed V groove.  In fact, that whole detail is a mess, since a CJP v groove weld would not have a square butt weld on the other side (unless the Engineer really wanted a wash pass on the backside with no gouging that would be ground off), and the use of the V groove on the arrow side of the reference line also indicates that the interior of those plates be beveled, not the exterior of the plates as depicted.  

Based on the black "weld metal" depicted in the drawings, the detail below it is likely also incorrect.

Its an incorrectly detailed V groove.  In fact, that whole detail is a mess, since a CJP v groove weld would not have a square butt weld on the other side (unless the Engineer really wanted a wash pass on the backside with no gouging that would be ground off), and the use of the V groove on the arrow side of the reference line also indicates that the interior of those plates be beveled, not the exterior of the plates as depicted.  

Based on the black "weld metal" depicted in the drawings, the detail below it is likely also incorrect.
Thanks!  It's a standard detail from a State DOT so I guess then I will have to go to the State and ask what they meant by that detail.

Back