Faulty PE power question??

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

igotoflo

Reaction score
Did anyone else find any of the power factor angle questions to be a bit faulty? Without getting into details or nature of the question. Let me just ask this. Is a "coil" at anytime ever just purely resistive? (in this case wouldn't it be just a resistor?)

No, both of those were fairly straightforward.  They weren't "faulty" at all, but you needed to incorporate the zero sequence current since it had a neutral return path.  Lol I kid!!  But no, I will say this about the afternoon question concerning the angle, impedance and resistance are not the same thing.  That should point you in the right direction if you missed it. The morning problem was easy enough, just presented in a way that was not like any practice problems we all most likely utilized/studied.  I've found the easiest way to attack PF correction problems is to work completely from the power/impedance triangle.  You will never go wrong if you know what you're solving for (kVA, kW, kVAR...and what to do with these values to arrive at what the problem statement asks for), can use basic trig functions and always remember that PF=cos(theta).

No, both of those were fairly straightforward.  They weren't "faulty" at all, but you needed to incorporate the zero sequence current since it had a neutral return path.  Lol I kid!!  But no, I will say this about the afternoon question concerning the angle, impedance and resistance are not the same thing.  That should point you in the right direction if you missed it. The morning problem was easy enough, just presented in a way that was not like any practice problems we all most likely utilized/studied.  I've found the easiest way to attack PF correction problems is to work completely from the power/impedance triangle.  You will never go wrong if you know what you're solving for (kVA, kW, kVAR...and what to do with these values to arrive at what the problem statement asks for), can use basic trig functions and always remember that PF=cos(theta).
Don't think what I've said above is too descriptive, but any feedback?  I don't see that my comments reveal a problem in part or whole, nor did I give the answer.  Just curious to know what the "line" is so that I don't get trapped or be contacted by NCEES invalidating my results/license etc.

Of course, my comment about zero sequence current is entirely not practical to the question asked, hence, the -I kid- comment followed.  Any EE in their right mind knows you will never use zero sequence with a problem concerning power factor correction.  

@knight1fox3 you seem to have the reputation around here for these type of concerns.  See above and advise.  TIA

Best not to even go there. Once the line is crossed, there is no going back.
Don't think I've gone there, right or wrong?  

I just want to know the "line", but I don't think I crossed it.  The OP said far more than I did by identifying a topic and component that was used in said topic.

15 minutes ago, Ken PE 3.0 said: Best not to even go there. Once the line is crossed, there is no going back.
Don't think I've gone there, right or wrong?  I just want to know the "line", but I don't think I crossed it.  The OP said far more than I did by identifying a topic and component that was used in said topic.
I don't think you did, but I am not the PE police either.

A good rule of thumb around here, even if you have the slightest doubt about posting something related to any of the exams, it's best to just keep it to yourself. :thumbs:

A good rule of thumb around here, even if you have the slightest doubt about posting something related to any of the exams, it's best to just keep it to yourself. :thumbs:
But if you have a funny meme, you better share that ****.....

leo2.png

NCEES does not want people to ruin questions by sharing them because it is expensive to write and vet new ones.  Referring to a type of question or equation used isn't really a problem unless you're pretty specific.  The topics on the exam shouldn't be a secret; they give you the exam breakdown.

That said, if the OP has a question about a problem on the exam, they should email it to NCEES.  They look closely to see whether a problem has multiple (or no) correct answers based on feedback from examinees.

The referenced problem had one, and only one, correct answer.  I found it to be a very easy problem if you understood what values were given, and what to do with them.  Literally, a two line crunch of algebra (one line if you skipped steps).  Maybe that was a "section" I was highly prepared for.....

Back