EET-SE Review - Page 3 - Structural - Engineer Boards
Jump to content
Engineer Boards
Sign in to follow this  
Aspring_engineer

EET-SE Review

Recommended Posts

 photo CHPE_AnimatedWebBanner_650x1202_zps5704d467.gif
On 6/21/2018 at 3:16 PM, Mithrandir918 said:

This course and these instructors are the best eduactaional experience I’ve had in my life.  I have BS and MS in Structural Eng.  this course takes you beyond what you have learned in school and gives you the best well rounded exposure to all topics.  The effort and personal dedication these teachers put into this course is unrivaled.  It is certainly challenging and time consuming but that’s what it takes.  Stop searching for a course and your own material and sign up.

could you (or anyone else) give me an idea of when the review course starts for the april exams? / if you took one or both in an april cycle? I'm not eligible to apply til jan 2019 but i want to test in april 2019 and am wondering when the sadness of studying will actually begin. haha. thanks in advance!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The EET-USA review course for the SE Vertical starts this Sunday, July 15, 2018, for the October 2018 exam.

It meets on 12 Sundays and 12 Thursdays with a short break during Labor Day week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heads up, I took lateral only for April and it was a huge time commit. The average week had about 10-12 hours of lecture in addition to homework problems and a quiz (ideally only one hour) but some weeks had closer to 15-20 hours of lectures. I'd recommend either starting one on-demand early then doing the other live, or just taking one at a time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm planning on one day at a time, but I want to know when I will start studying for the april exam. I know what dates the course starts for the oct exam because it's posted, but april going back the same number of weeks coincides with the winter holidays, so i'm just curious when the course usually starts for that test cycle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, zaidfadhill said:

Is the pass guaranteed with EET? or We have to pay again if not passed?

it says if you fail, they let you retake once, the immediately following cycle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/10/2018 at 7:13 PM, ThrustIssues said:

Heads up, I took lateral only for April and it was a huge time commit. The average week had about 10-12 hours of lecture in addition to homework problems and a quiz (ideally only one hour) but some weeks had closer to 15-20 hours of lectures. I'd recommend either starting one on-demand early then doing the other live, or just taking one at a time.

approx what date did your course start? 

also, the lectures - are they viewable on a tablet device? Or will i need to be at a desktop? Thanks for the info!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The course I took started the first weekend of Jan. for the April exam, so just over 3 months total. They have schedules on the website, but if you're a buildings person you'll have a couple "free" weeks at the end while they cover afternoon bridge material. The "office hour" lectures are generally filled with additional topics so they aren't really as optional as they may look from the schedule.

They used Adobe Connect for the lectures - I watched them all on my laptop so I'm not sure about the device limitations.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, ThrustIssues said:

The course I took started the first weekend of Jan. for the April exam, so just over 3 months total. They have schedules on the website, but if you're a buildings person you'll have a couple "free" weeks at the end while they cover afternoon bridge material. The "office hour" lectures are generally filled with additional topics so they aren't really as optional as they may look from the schedule.

They used Adobe Connect for the lectures - I watched them all on my laptop so I'm not sure about the device limitations.

thanks! I appreciate the info

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I'll be signing up to give this a whirl. I really can't afford the PPI or the ASCE courses. If this one doesn't work I'll try out school of PE. Just keep cycling my way through them. Given that I'm a bit late to the party, I think I will be relegated to the on-demand stuff. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, rickaccused said:

I think I'll be signing up to give this a whirl. I really can't afford the PPI or the ASCE courses. If this one doesn't work I'll try out school of PE. Just keep cycling my way through them. Given that I'm a bit late to the party, I think I will be relegated to the on-demand stuff. 

good luck! I'll be starting studying here in a couple months. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It appears I'm off to a bit of a rocky start. I signed up for on-demand and the software is telling me I need to wait for the presenter to arrive. I emailed the director to see if I'm missing a step. 

  • fudgey 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been reading these forums for a while now, thank you for all the great advice.  Here is my question:

For those who took the EET SE review course, was it necessary to purchase a SERM or any other review books, and if so, which ones? 

The course seems very comprehensive, and I want to gear up for the exam properly, but don't want to spend money on the review course and then waste it on needless additional references which can sometimes slow you down the day of the exam or are never even opened during studying because you have no time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/13/2018 at 9:31 PM, nafta2 said:

I have been reading these forums for a while now, thank you for all the great advice.  Here is my question:

For those who took the EET SE review course, was it necessary to purchase a SERM or any other review books, and if so, which ones? 

The course seems very comprehensive, and I want to gear up for the exam properly, but don't want to spend money on the review course and then waste it on needless additional references which can sometimes slow you down the day of the exam or are never even opened during studying because you have no time.

I found the EET review course notes very comprehensive and I didn't need any other review books (the course also doesn't require you to buy any books).  I already had the SERM, but I only used it for the concrete design aid charts.  If you have another source for these, then I don't think you need the SERM at all.  

I did grab a copy of both of the published practice exams (NCEES and Schuster) and found these very useful.

Edited by MB13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/15/2018 at 7:49 AM, MB13 said:

I found the EET review course notes very comprehensive and I didn't need any other review books (the course also doesn't require you to buy any books).  I already had the SERM, but I only used it for the concrete design aid charts.  If you have another source for these, then I don't think you need the SERM at all.  

I did grab a copy of both of the published practice exams (NCEES and Schuster) and found these very useful.

do you remember the requirements for the homework problems? like, did you have a limited amount of time to get them back to the instructor (before the next sat/sun lecture, before the office hours, etc)? How many hours worth per week were they approx? (Just trying to get a 2hrs vs 12 hours estimate as i plan out my studying for the april exam. thanks a million! 

Edited by tj_PE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, tj_PE said:

do you remember the requirements for the homework problems? like, did you have a limited amount of time to get them back to the instructor (before the next sat/sun lecture, before the office hours, etc)? How many hours worth per week were they approx? (Just trying to get a 2hrs vs 12 hours estimate as i plan out my studying for the april exam. thanks a million! 

I took EET's review courses last year, and they didn't have any requirements on completing/submitting the homework problems. They had started administering "mini exams", which were 10 question tests on a given topic, typically sent out after they had finished the lectures for that topic. Then they would give you ~1 week to get it done and resubmitted to them. You were only supposed to spend an hour max on them (10 Q's @ 6 min), but they would sometimes take me 1.5-2hrs to finish them.

Unless they've changed their participation requirements, the homework questions were just to be done on your own time and not turned in. I'm not sure exactly how many hours a week I spent on the homeworks. My typical studying time was ~15 hrs/week, split up into watching lectures, doing HW problems, etc. The amount of problems they provide to you were pretty proportional to the exam distribution...only like 4 questions about cold form, and up to ~40 questions or so for steel & concrete. 

Hope that helps you some.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, onemanwolfpack said:

I took EET's review courses last year, and they didn't have any requirements on completing/submitting the homework problems. They had started administering "mini exams", which were 10 question tests on a given topic, typically sent out after they had finished the lectures for that topic. Then they would give you ~1 week to get it done and resubmitted to them. You were only supposed to spend an hour max on them (10 Q's @ 6 min), but they would sometimes take me 1.5-2hrs to finish them.

Unless they've changed their participation requirements, the homework questions were just to be done on your own time and not turned in. I'm not sure exactly how many hours a week I spent on the homeworks. My typical studying time was ~15 hrs/week, split up into watching lectures, doing HW problems, etc. The amount of problems they provide to you were pretty proportional to the exam distribution...only like 4 questions about cold form, and up to ~40 questions or so for steel & concrete. 

Hope that helps you some.

it does! thank you! Just trying to have a grasp of what to expect. i work a flex work schedule of (4) 10 hour days, and am hoping I can do the 2 hour tuesday or thursday lectures/office hours in addition to my homework problems on my fridays off. sounds like it's probably doable! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, onemanwolfpack said:

I took EET's review courses last year, and they didn't have any requirements on completing/submitting the homework problems. They had started administering "mini exams", which were 10 question tests on a given topic, typically sent out after they had finished the lectures for that topic. Then they would give you ~1 week to get it done and resubmitted to them. You were only supposed to spend an hour max on them (10 Q's @ 6 min), but they would sometimes take me 1.5-2hrs to finish them.

Unless they've changed their participation requirements, the homework questions were just to be done on your own time and not turned in. I'm not sure exactly how many hours a week I spent on the homeworks. My typical studying time was ~15 hrs/week, split up into watching lectures, doing HW problems, etc. The amount of problems they provide to you were pretty proportional to the exam distribution...only like 4 questions about cold form, and up to ~40 questions or so for steel & concrete. 

Hope that helps you some.

also, is there a lunch break? or legit 8 hours straight of lecturing??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

19 hours ago, tj_PE said:

also, is there a lunch break? or legit 8 hours straight of lecturing??

I did the on demand option, so would never do an 8 hour stretch of lectures, good luck with that! They did take an hour lunch break at some point during those times though. 

19 hours ago, tj_PE said:

it does! thank you! Just trying to have a grasp of what to expect. i work a flex work schedule of (4) 10 hour days, and am hoping I can do the 2 hour tuesday or thursday lectures/office hours in addition to my homework problems on my fridays off. sounds like it's probably doable! 

Sounds reasonable. I never attended their live office hours, so I can't tell you what to expect there. Sometimes they wouldn't finish their lectures on the weekends, and it would bleed over into their office hour times, so you may run into some of that.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/25/2018 at 7:08 AM, onemanwolfpack said:

I did the on demand option, so would never do an 8 hour stretch of lectures, good luck with that! They did take an hour lunch break at some point during those times though. 

Sounds reasonable. I never attended their live office hours, so I can't tell you what to expect there. Sometimes they wouldn't finish their lectures on the weekends, and it would bleed over into their office hour times, so you may run into some of that.

thank you for your feedback! I have another question (LOL) 

how many binders did you end up getting for each day?

also @StructHOPEful tagging you to find this thread easily

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, tj_PE said:

thank you for your feedback! I have another question (LOL) 

how many binders did you end up getting for each day?

also @StructHOPEful tagging you to find this thread easily

Ask away, that's what the forum is for! They gave out one 3" binder for each module (vert & lat), packed pretty full. I took out all of the afternoon related material and moved it into a separate binder, and added my own additional things, so I had a morning and an afternoon binder. Their binder is kinda like what the CERM was for the morning portion of the PE.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, onemanwolfpack said:

Ask away, that's what the forum is for! They gave out one 3" binder for each module (vert & lat), packed pretty full. I took out all of the afternoon related material and moved it into a separate binder, and added my own additional things, so I had a morning and an afternoon binder. Their binder is kinda like what the CERM was for the morning portion of the PE.

@onemanwolfpack

Is there any way to just buy the binders?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...